Malkin Athletic Center
Home of Harvard Fencing, Volleyball and Wrestling
- Tour of the Harvard Fencing Room
- Tour of the Men's Volleyball Facilities
- Tour of the Women's Volleyball Facilities
- Tour of the Harvard Wrestling Room
Malkin Athletic Center
39 Holyoke Street
Cambridge, MA 02138
The historic Malkin Athletic Center serves both as the University's primary recreation facility and as a satellite location for several varsity sports. The majestic five story building holds a wealth of options for the recreational exerciser. Two Cardio Rooms allow members to choose from over 70 pieces of equipment. Exercisers in the Cardio Rooms enjoy a view of the pools: in addition to a 25 yard pool for laps and swimming lessons (both private and group), there is a smaller pool for aquaerobics and other activities. Those who prefer group exercise gravitate to the Mezzanine, where all types of classes are held at all hours of the day, or to our Indoor Cycling Studio. Club Sports provide an opportunity to learn a martial art or other skill. Those who want more intense guidance can work with a Personal Trainer or join a specialty class. Others round out their workout schedules in our three weight rooms, or head up to the three-court gym floor to play basketball. The final stop is often the locker rooms, with shower and toilet facilities as well as day and overnight lockers.
Home to Harvard Volleyball (M & W), Fencing (M & W) and Wrestling, the MAC provides practice, competition, and office space for these sports. Its location just outside of Harvard Square and proximity to student housing provides a strong "home field" advantage for the teams. The wrestling practice space was recently renovated and expanded to accommodate the team. The volleyball floor played host to the 2000 Ivy League Women's Volleyball championships, and the fencing space is considered by many to be the finest collegiate fencing facility in the country.
The MAC was built in 1930, renovated in 1985, and again in 2004. Once known as the Indoor Athletic Building, the facility was renamed in 1985 to honor Peter L. Malkin (A.B. 1955) who provided the funding as well as the impetus for the improvements. A member of fifteen Harvard committees, including the committee on University Resources, Mr. Malkin has been a long-time supporter of Harvard.