Four incoming freshmen student-athletes will join the Crimson for the upcoming 2014-15 campaign (Harvard Athletic Communications).
CAMBRIDGE, Mass. -- Fred Schernecker, The Paul M. Weissman '52 Director of Harvard Golf, will welcome four incoming freshmen, two to the men's team and two to the women's squad, for the 2014-15 season.
By Fred Schernecker
Please join me in welcoming our incoming freshmen.
The strength of the incoming class is a further reflection of our progress.
The below highlights are focused primarily on golf accomplishments. Be assured that these incoming freshmen have equally impressive credentials in the classroom and in other leadership roles. They will be great additions to the Harvard campus.
The women's team will be adding two new team members. Both incoming freshmen are from outside of the United States.
Darcey Carr (Dublin, Ireland: Institute of Education High School) Darcey will be joining us following a gap year during which, among other things, she worked at the Tiger Woods Foundation, earned her British Association of Ski Instructors certificate in Switzerland and worked on her golf game. Darcey's golf background includes:
- Selected to represent Ireland in a challenge match versus the University of Kansas 2013.
- Provincial winner in the May Fitzgibbon Leinster foursomes 2013
- Ria Kenny Championship winner 2013
- All Ireland U21 International Faldo series Champion 2012
- Represented Ireland in the Faldo Series World Championship (one of two Irish girl representatives) 2012
- Father, John, Irish International Champion 1981-1983
- Grandfather, Joe, British Amateur Champion '53',58,'60, participant in 3 US Masters and 11 Walker Cups. Inducted into the World Golf Hall of Fame in 2007
Lita Guo (Auckland, New Zealand: Auckland International College) Lita is an accomplished player on the international stage including the following accomplishments:
- Highest R&A World Amateur Golf Ranking of 68th
- Ranked 1st on the New Zealand's Women's Order of Merit for Golf in 2013 and 2nd in 2014
- Ranked 29th in the country in the Class of 2014 by Polo Golf Rankings
- 1st place in the AJGA Killington Junior Championship (73-71-73 = 217)
- 1st place in the Lawnmaster Classic (60-68-71-73 = 282, a four round total of -14)
- Qualified for the 2013 US Girls Championship
- Part of the New Zealand mixed team that received Bronze at the 2013 Australian Youth Olympics
- Part of the New Zealand National Team from 2012-2014
- 4th place in the 2012 Srixon International Championship
New additions to the men's team include:
Hale Furey (Newport Beach, CA: St. Corona del Mar High School)
- Valedictorian of Corona del Mar's Class of 2014
- 2013-14 Male Student-Athlete of the year for Corona del Mar High School
- Shot 68-72 (4-under) in U.S. Amateur Qualifying (2013)
- Member of Team Southern California in Hogan Cup, Oregon (2013)
- Member of Team Southern California in Junior America's Cup, Idaho (2012)
- Future Collegian World Tour Academic All-American (2012)
- 29 Wins on the SCPGA Junior Tour and 5 top-10 finishes on Toyota Tour Cup
- Helped Corona del Mar High School's golf team go 22-0 and win the CIF Divisional Championship for the first time since 1967 (2012). Captain of team as a senior
- Father co-captained Princeton Golf
Gregory Royston (Durban, South Africa: Kearsney College) Greg is the third of four international incoming freshmen in the golf program.
- Academic Honours Cum Laude scholar
- Achieved 9 Distinctions (top 1% in the country in 5 subjects) in the Independent Examination Board national final examinations (December 2013)
- Currently ranked 18th in the country in the South African Golf Association (SAGA) Men's Amateur ranking (2014)
- 1 victory, 2 top 5, 2 top 10, 4 top 15 finishes in national Men's Amateur events in 2014
- Selected to the Men's Amateur team to represent KZN Province (state) in the South African Premier Interprovincial tournament (2013)
- Selected to the u23 team to represent KZN Province in the South African u23 Interprovincial tournament (2013)
- 1st at Dainfern National College Championship in 2013
We give a warm welcome to the incoming freshmen. We know each and every one will contribute positively to the program. Given the recent success on the recruiting front, we are optimistic about the future of Harvard Golf.