Brown Stymies Crimson Early, Hangs On

Clemente stops a shot by Eric Kroshus (photo courtesy Kevin Burns).

CAMBRIDGE, Mass.—Mike Clemente made 18 of his 42 saves in the first period and Brown added a pair of empty-net goals in the final minute of the third period to pull away to a 4-1 win against the Harvard men’s hockey team Tuesday night at Bright Hockey Center in the 155th playing of college hockey’s oldest rivalry.

Conor Morrison scored his team-leading sixth goal for the Crimson (1-7-2, 1-5-2 ECAC Hockey, 1-2-1 Ivy League), which held a 43-33 advantage in shots. Kyle Richter allowed two goals on 31 shots, as four different players scored for Brown. The Bears converted one of their four power plays, while Harvard was held scoreless on five man-advantage chances.

Clemente was on his game from the outset, stopping all 18 Harvard shots in the opening period, including impressive saves on great chances by Luke Greiner, Michael Biega and David Valek. On the other end, Richter saved 12 of Brown’s 13 shots. Jarred Smith had the only goal of the period. He won the puck behind the Harvard net, got it to Jordan Pietrus, moved in front and redirected a Pietrus shot out of the air and into the goal.

The Bears took a two-goal lead on a power play early in the second period. Jeff Buvinow scored on a high shot through a screen from the left point after collecting a pass up the boards from Chris Zaires. Morrison halved the margin 11 minutes later. After Chris Huxley dumped the puck into the corner, Daniel Moriarty passed back to Morrison in the left circle. His initial shot was blocked, but he buried the rebound. The Crimson held a 15-8 edge in shots in the second period, but Alex Fallstrom was whistled for a hitting-from-behind penalty late in the period that put Brown on a long power play to start the third.

The Crimson killed the penalty but could not break through on Clemente afterward. Harvard’s best chance came on a Rence Coassin deflection of a Huxley shot that slid inches wide of the left post. The Crimson got a power play on an interference call with 1:11 showing on the clock and pulled Richter for an extra skater, but the Bears twice blocked shots and scored empty-net goals. Aaron Volpatti had the first with 36.4 seconds left and Jack Maclellan scored the second with 19.5 remaining. Brown outshot Harvard, 12-10, in the final frame.