Kroshus Nets Two as Harvard Men's Hockey Tops St. Lawrence, 4-2

Kroshus registered his first multi-goal game (photo courtesy Patrick Shanahan).

CANTON, N.Y.—Eric Kroshus scored two goals and Kyle Richter made 41 saves to lead the Harvard men's hockey team to a 4-2 win against St. Lawrence Friday night at Appleton Arena. 

A strong second period was the key, as the Crimson (2-1-0, 2-1-0 ECAC Hockey) built a 3-0 lead and hung on for the win. Colin Moore and Alex Killorn also scored for Harvard, while Danny Biega logged two assists. St. Lawrence (2-5-3, 2-1-0) suffered its first league loss despite a 43-36 shots advantage. The Crimson killed all four SLU power plays.

Kroshus gave the Crimson a first-period lead with his breakaway goal at the 13:37 mark. Biega collected the puck in his own zone and found Kroshus with a long pass to the SLU blue line. The junior went in alone on Weninger and slipped a shot under the goalie for the only tally of the opening frame.

Richter, meanwhile, kept the Saints off the board with 17 saves in the first period, four on two SLU power plays. He cleared a Matt Raley shot off the line about six minutes into the game, later dove to his right to deny Jeremy Wick and stopped Max Mobley's forehand after the SLU forward got behind the defense with two minutes left. The best of Matt Weninger's nine saves came on chances from Killorn from the slot, one on the forehand and one on the backhand.

The opening minutes of the second period were action-packed. Chris Huxley froze an SLU three-on-two break with a textbook hip check, and the puck went back the other way, where Weninger stopped Alex Fallstrom on a short breakaway. Harvard, however, soon doubled its lead. Huxley moved the puck across the defensive zone to partner Danny Biega, who pushed it ahead. Moore collected, carried it in on the right side and beat Weninger at 3:03.

Killorn made it 3-0 just 97 seconds later. He won an offensive-zone draw back to Dan Ford and then deflected the rookie's shot from the left point over the shoulder of Weninger. The assist was the first point of Ford's collegiate career. A Crimson power play soon followed. The Saints killed it and got a shorthanded chance, but Richter came up with a big save on Kyle Flanagan. Each team got another power play in the period, but neither converted and Harvard held a 20-7 shots edge in the frame.

St. Lawrence got on the board at 9:12 of the third period, when Mark Armstrong lifted the puck off the goal line from beside the right post after Weninger made a big stop on Killorn at the other end. The Saints trimmed the Crimson lead to one goal with about five minutes remaining, as Peter Child's point shot found its way through thick traffic and into the net.

The Saints brought heavy pressure late, but Richter made a few key saves, and Kroshus sealed the win with an empty-net goal with seven seconds left. Michael Biega blocked a shot in the high slot and swiped the puck to Kroshus, who cleared it down and in from the top of his defensive faceoff circle.