Dartmouth Hands Harvard Men’s Hockey Home Loss

Morrison scored for the second game and recorded an assist (photo courtesy Gil Talbot).

CAMBRIDGE, Mass.—Dartmouth scored five unanswered goals to pull away to an 8-2 win against the Harvard men's hockey team Friday night at Bright Hockey Center in the first game of a Thanksgiving-Weekend home-and-home series.

Nick Walsh scored three goals and added an assist for Dartmouth (5-3-1, 4-2-1 ECAC Hockey, 2-0-0 Ivy League), while Doug Jones registered a goal and three assists. Playing in front of a near-capacity crowd of 2,757, Harvard (2-5-0, 2-5-0, 0-2-0) got power-play goals from Marshall Everson and Conor Morrison to cut the Big Green's lead to 3-2 in the second period. Dartmouth took over from there and outshot Harvard, 45-27.

The teams meet again Saturday night at Thompson Arena in Hanover, N.H.

The Big Green took an early two goal lead as Doug Jones and Scott Fleming struck within 11 seconds of each other. About three minutes into the game, Jones got to the rebound of an Eric Robinson shot. Matt Reber forced a Harvard turnover off the ensuing faceoff and found Fleming in front for the finish.

Dartmouth killed two first-period power plays for the Crimson, but Everson got the Crimson on the board at 14:36 of the opening frame. After Danny Biega passed right-to-left across the point to Morrison, the sophomore forward fired the puck toward the right post, where Everson was waiting to redirect it in for his first goal of the season. Each team registered 15 shots in the opening period, as Dartmouth withstood a late flurry of chances from Harvard.

The Big Green took back the momentum early in the second period, with Robinson scoring in his first collegiate game to build the margin to 3-1. Harvard again cut the lead to a single goal in the middle of the period. Michael Biega carried the puck into the zone and passed to Alex Killorn. The junior took it toward the right corner and centered a great pass to the late-arriving Morrison for the finish in front.

Walsh scored his first goal less than five minutes later and added a second barely two minutes into the third period to make it 5-2. Matt Lindblad and Dustin Walsh scored in the second half of the frame before Nick Walsh completed his hat trick with a power-play tally in the final two minutes.

Harvard was 2 for 8 with the man advantage and killed the first seven Dartmouth power plays. Two of the Big Green's final three goals came on the power play, and Dartmouth finished 2 for 10.

James Mello made 25 saves for the Big Green. Three goaltenders spent time in the Harvard crease. Kyle Richter made 15 saves, while Ryan Carroll stopped 19 shots and Raphael Girard stopped three in his collegiate debut.