Men's Lacrosse Can't Outlast No. 17/18 Albany in 14-8 Defeat
Harvard dropped its second road contest of the year to a ranked opponent (Gil Talbot).
CAMBRIDGE, Mass. – The Harvard men's lacrosse team staked itself to an early lead but could not keep pace with No. 17/18 Albany as the Great Dane rallied for a 14-8 victory Saturday afternoon.
Will Walker and Brendan Newman scored two goals apiece to pace the Harvard attack, while Sean McDonagh and Carl Zimmerman each added a goal and an assist. Jake Gambitsky played all 60 minutes in goal and registered eight saves against an Albany team which entered the game averaging 14.5 goals per game.
Miles Thompson scored eight goals and also contributed an assist in the winning effort while Blaze Riordan came away with 15 saves in goal.
- Will Walker and Brendan Newman each scored two goals.
- Sean McDonagh and Carl Zimmerman each added one goal and one assist.
- Stephen Jahelka led the defensive effort with three caused turnovers.
- Harvard outshot Albany 43-40 and has not been outshot this year.
- Will Walker registered his second straight multi-goal performance and now leads the team with five tallies on the year.
- Brendan Newman registered his first multi-goal performance of the year and is third on the team with four goals.
- Sean McDonagh and Carl Zimmerman have each contributed two points (1g, 1a) in each of the Crimson's last two games.
- Sean McDonagh, Brendan Newman and Peter Schwartz have each registered at least one point in all three games this season for the Crimson.
- Stephen Jahelka set a new career-high with three caused turnovers.
- Jack Breit matched his career-high with four ground balls.
- Harvard falls to 0-2 on the year against ranked opponents and is 0-2 on the road.
- Harvard opened a 2-0 lead 5:28 into the contest before Albany evened the score with 2:37 remaining in the first quarter.
- Albany scored two quick goals in the second quarter to make it a 4-0 run and take a 4-2 lead.
- Harvard retied the scored at 4-4 before Albany closed the half with three unanswered goals for a 7-4 halftime edge.
- Both teams scored two goals in the third as Albany took a 9-6 lead into the final quarter of play.
- Albany outscored Harvard 5-2 in the fourth to take the victory by a 14-8 margin.
Lead Changes: One
Largest Leads: Harvard by two – 1st: 9:32, Albany by 6 – 4th: 7:12
The Crimson will return to Cambridge to play host to Quinnipiac Tuesday, March 4. The game will be streamed live online through the Ivy League Digital Network with first faceoff from Soldiers Field Lacrosse Stadium scheduled for 4 p.m.