Men's Lacrosse Begins Ivy League Play With 16-10 Win Over Brown
Harvard improved its win streak to three games to remain unbeaten at home (Gil Talbot).
CAMBRIDGE, Mass. – The Harvard men's lacrosse team overpowered Brown in the second half en route to a 16-10 win Saturday night under the lights of Soldiers Field Lacrosse Stadium.
A standing-room crowd was on hand as Harvard picked up its third straight win to improve to 4-2 overall, 1-0 in the Ivy League. After playing to an 8-8 tie at intermission, the Crimson outscored Brown (3-2, 0-1 Ivy League) 8-2 in the second half to take the victory.
Devin Dwyer, Daniel Eipp and Will Walker each turned in a hat trick with Dwyer also contributing two assists to finish with five points. Sean McDonagh and Carl Zimmerman tallied two goals apiece, with Ian Ardrey, Sean Mahon and Brendan Newman each contributing one. Gabriel Mendola was 14-of-18 at the faceoff X as Harvard won 17-of-29 on the night.
Jake Gambitsky turned away 11 shots to pick up the win, including nine in the second half.
- Harvard outscored Brown 8-2 in the second half after playing to an 8-8 tie at the intermission.
- Harvard held Brown scoreless in the third quarter while allowing just four shots.
- Devin Dwyer, Daniel Eipp and Will Walker each scored three goals, the most hat tricks for the Crimson this season.
- Gabriel Mendola won 14-of-18 faceoffs to lead Harvard to a 17-29 advantage at the X for the night.
- Jake Gambitsky registered nine saves in the second half and held Brown scoreless in the third quarter.
- Harvard was 2-of-2 on the man-advantage while holding Brown to a 1-of-3 conversion rate.
- Harvard won the ground ball battle, 27-21, and was 17-of-20 on clear attempts.
- Harvard has won three straight games, its longest win streak since 2011.
- Harvard remains unbeaten at home this season (3-0) and is 11-2 at Soldiers Field Lacrosse Stadium under Chris Wojcik '96, The Frisbie Family Head Coach for Harvard Lacrosse.
- Devin Dwyer turned in five points (3g, 2a) for the second consecutive game.
- Devin Dwyer, Daniel Eipp and Will Walker each recorded a hat trick. Entering the game, Harvard had posted just five hat tricks on the year.
- Devin Dwyer has scored at least one point in eight straight games dating back to last season, and has accumulated 29 points in that time (8g, 21a).
- Peter Schwartz (7), Brendan Newman (6) Daniel Eipp (5), Will Walker (5), Carl Zimmerman (5), Ian Ardrey (3) and Sean McDonagh (2) each extended their own point-scoring streaks.
- Jake Gambitsky has set a new career-high with four wins between the pipes.
- Jake Gambitsky has made at least 10 saves in five of Harvard's six contests this season.
- Gabriel Mendola matched his career-high with 14 faceoff wins.
- Harvard opened the game with two goals in the first 2:39 and held a 5-3 lead after the first quarter.
- Brown ended the second quarter on a 3-0 run to tie the game at 8-8.
- Harvard outscored Brown 5-0 in the third quarter to open a 13-8 lead.
- Harvard outscored Brown 3-2 in the fourth quarter to secure the victory.
Lead Changes: Zero
Largest Leads: Harvard by seven – 4th: 3:56, Brown - none
Harvard travels to No. 5/4 North Carolina Tuesday, March 18 for a non-conference matchup. Faceoff is set for 7 p.m. live on ESPN3.