Mens Tennis Hits a Bump in the Road, Falls 4-3 at Purdue
Photo of: Junior Aba Omodele-Lucien teamed with Christo
Schultz to win at the No. 1 doubles position.
Photo courtesy of DSPics.com.
WEST LAFAYETTE, Ind.- The Harvard men’s
tennis team dropped a 4-3 decision to Purdue Saturday afternoon.
The Crimson captured the doubles point and a pair of singles
victories on the day.
Harvard got an early lead in doubles play as junior Aba Omodele-Lucien and freshman Christo Schultz rolled to an 8-2 win at the No. 1 spot. Sophomore Alistair Felton and rookie Andy Nguyen claimed the doubles point for the Crimson with an 8-4 victory at the No. 2 position.
In singles action, Nguyen knotted the match score at 2-2 with a win in straight sets at the No. 5 slot. Junior Alexei Chijoff-Evans put Harvard in a position to win the match, picking up his fourth straight victory at the top spot and his tenth singles win of the season. The Crimson was unable to close out the match as the Boilermakers took the final two singles points to win 4-3 and improve to 7-1 on the season. Harvard moves to 4-3 on the year.
The Crimson closes out the road trip as it takes on it first top 50 opponent of the season, No. 50 Indiana, tomorrow morning.
1. Alexei Chijoff-Evans (HAR) def. P.J. Rose (PUR) 7-6 (7-2), 6-4
2. Slavko Bijelica (PUR) def. Alistair Felton (HAR) 6-2, 7-6 (7-5)
3. Eric Ramos (PUR) def. Christo Schultz (HAR) 6-4, 6-2
4. Branko Kuzmanovic (PUR) def. Joshua Tchan (HAR) 7-5, 4-6, 6-4
5. Andy Nguyen (HAR) def. Paul Foley (PUR) 7-5, 6-3
6. Thomas Wilson (PUR) def. Davis Mangham (HAR) 4-6, 6-4, 6-3
1. Aba Omodele-Lucien/Christo Schultz (HAR) def. P.J. Rose/Eric Ramos (PUR) 8-2
2. Alistair Felton/Andy Nguyen (HAR) def. Slavko Bijelica/Thomas Wilson (PUR) 8-4
3. Paul Foley/Branko Kuzmanovic (PUR) def. Alexei Chijoff-Evans/Joshua Tchan (HAR) 8-5