Sophomore Christo Schultz remains undefeated in both singles and doubles play this spring season and looks to continue that against the University of San Diego on Friday morning. (Gil Talbot)
SAN DIEGO – Harvard men's tennis took down the University of California Irvine 6-1, in the first round of the Hilton Misison Valley Spring Classic, held at San Diego State University, Friday. The Crimson was nearly flawless in singles competition, as they went 5-1 against the Anteaters.
The Crimson dominated in singles competition tallying five out of six wins during the session. Pearlman, who competed out of the No. 1 spot, defeated Fabian Matthews, 4-6, 6-4, 6-3, while D. Nguyen defeated Jung, 7-5, 7-5 out of the No. 2 position. Schultz remained undefeated this spring season as he took down Gould in the No. 3 spot, 6-4, 2-6, 6-2. While the strong play of freshmen Shaun Chadhuri and Henry Steer led to two more Harvard wins in the No. 5 and No. 6 positions, respectively, as Chaudhuri defeated Ryan Chueng, 6-2, 6-1 and Steer downed Shuhei Shibahara, 6-4, 6-0. Kazarian tallied the Anteaters' only singles victory during the match, as he defeated freshman Alex Steinroeder, 6-4, 2-6, 6-4.
With the win Harvard advanced to the second round of the tournament as they will play host University of San Diego, today at 10 a.m. (PST). The Toreros defeated Marquette yesterday, 4-3.
Full results are found below:
1. Casey MacMaster / Alistair Felton (Harvard) def. Fabian Matthews / Jacob Jung (UCI), 9-7
2. Sam Gould / Jacob Jung (UCI) def. Andy Nguyen / Denis Nguyen (Harvard), 8-2
3. Christo Schultz / Jonathan Pearlman (Harvard) def. Jon Kazarian / Mika DeCoster (UCI), 8-5
1. Jonathan Pearlman (Harvard) def. Fabian Matthews (UCI), 4-6, 6-4, 6-3
2. Denis Nguyen (Harvard) def. Jacob Jung (UCI), 7-5, 7-5
3. Christo Schultz (Harvard) def. Sam Gould (UCI), 6-4, 4-6, 6-2
4. Jon Kazarian (UCI) def. Alex Steinroeder (Harvard), 6-4, 2-6, 6-4
5. Shaun Chaudhuri (Harvard) def. Jacob Jung (UCI), 6-2, 6-1
6. Henry Steer (Harvard) def. Shuhei Shibahara (UCI), 6-4, 6-0