Shaun Chaudhuri's win at No. 2 singles clinched the match for the Crimson Sunday (Gil Talbot).
EVANSTON, Ill. – A day removed from a dramatic 4-3 win over Northwestern, the Harvard men's tennis team completed the weekend sweep, knocking off Vanderbilt by a similar 4-3 score Sunday at Northwestern University. The win moves Harvard above .500 at 4-3 on the season.
After a closely contested doubles competition against the Wildcats Saturday, the Crimson took control of the play Sunday, breezing to the doubles point. Andy Nguyen and Nicky Hu, Harvard's No. 2 pair, made short work of Gonzalez Austin and Suresh Eswaran, rolling in an 8-3 victory. The top pair of Casey MacMaster and Denis Nguyen was just off the pace, closing out an 8-4 victory over Ryan Lipman and Rhys Johnson to lock down the doubles point for the Crimson.
Singles play saw Alex Steinroeder shine in the third position, giving Harvard a 2-0 cushion in the match with a 6-1, 6-2 final over Johnson. Andy Nguyen relinquished even fewer games than Steinroeder at fourth singles, besting Jeff Offerdahl, 6-1, 6-1, to put Harvard a point away from the match victory.
With its back against the wall, Vanderbilt rallied for a pair of singles wins to close the gap in the overall match score. Ryan Lipman took down Denis Nguyen, 6-2, 6-3, in the top singles spot and the rookie Hu fell, 7-5, 6-4, at fifth singles to Marc van der Merwe. After splitting sets at No. 2, Shaun Chaudhuri shut the door on Austin in the third, polishing off the match with a 7-6, 2-6, 6-0 final, giving Harvard the victory. MacMaster was the last Crimson player to finish, relinquishing a hard-fought three set decision (3-6, 6-3, 7-5) to Kris Yee at sixth singles.
The ECAC Division I Indoor Team Championship is next up for Harvard, as the Crimson will travel to Ithaca, N.Y., Feb 15-18 for the event.
Harvard 4, Vanderbilt 3
1. Casey MacMaster/Denis Nguyen (HU) def. Ryan Lipman/Rhys Johnson (VU) 8-4
2. Andy Nguyen/Nicky Hu (HU) def. Gonzales Austin/Suresh Eswaran (VU) 8-3
3. Alex Steinroeder/Shaun Chaudhuri (HU) vs. Jeff Offerdahl/Marc van der Merwe (VU), abandoned
1. Ryan Lipman (VU) def. Denis Nguyen (HU) 6-2, 6-3
2. Shaun Chaudhuri (HU) def. Gonzales Austin (VU) 7-6, 2-6, 6-0
3. Alex Steinroeder (HU) def. Rhys Johnson (VU) 6-1, 6-2
4. Andy Nguyen (HU) def. Jeff Offerdahl (VU) 6-1, 6-1
5. Marc van der Merwe (VU) def. Nicky Hu (HU) 7-5, 6-4
6. Kris Yee (VU) def. Casey MacMaster (HU) 3-6, 6-3, 7-5