Shaun Chaudhuri clinched the win Sunday against St. John's (Photo: Dean Bauer).
CAMBRIDGE, Mass. - In its final non-conference contest of the 2013-14 regular season, the No. 30 Harvard men's tennis team put on a singles display, powering past St. John's, 5-2, Sunday at the Murr Center. Harvard ups its record to 11-5 heading into its Ivy League schedule.
After a strong showing on the doubles courts during its spring break trip, the Crimson stumbled against the Red Storm, dropping the opening point of the match with losses on the first and second courts. Harvard's lone doubles win came on the third court where Sebastian Beltrame and Alex Steinroeder came back from an early break to record an 8-6 win.
The Crimson singles lineup quickly righted the ship and Harvard gained an advantage in the match after the first two singles matches finished. No. 31 Denis Nguyen was dominant n the first court, polishing off a 6-1, 6-1 win, and rookie Brian Yeung was close behind with a 6-2, 6-1 win at No. 4, giving Harvard a 2-1 lead. Sophomore Nicky Hu stepped in on the sixth singles court for the Crimson and notched another straight-set win, taking home a 6-2, 6-4 final. Junior Shaun Chaudhuri was close behind Hu, recording the match-clinching win at No. 3 by a similar, 6-2, 6-4, score. Steinroeder wrapped up the singles wins on the day for Harvard, closing out a three-setter, 7-6, 4-6, 1-0.
Ivy play kicks off Saturday when the Crimson travels to New York to take on No. 19 Columbia in a 2 p.m., match.
Harvard 5, St. John's 2
1. Lucas Hehjal/Vaidik Munshaw (S) def. Denis Nguyen/Casey MacMaster (H), 8-5
2. R.J. Del Nunzio/Erick Reyes (S) def. Brian Yeung/Nicky Hu (H), 8-6
3. Sebastian Beltrame/Alex Steinroeder (H) def. Robert Livi/Michael-John Every (S), 8-6
1. Denis Nguyen (H) def. Erick Reyes (S), 6-1, 6-1
2. R.J. Del Nunzio (S) def. Sebastian Beltrame (H), 6-4, 2-6, 6-2
3. Shaun Chaudhuri (H) def. Lucas Hehjal (S), 6-2, 6-4
4. Brian Yeung (H) def. Vaidik Munshaw (S), 6-2, 6-1
5. Alex Steinroeder (H) def. Robert Livi (S), 7-6, 4-6, 1-0
6. Nicky Hu (H) def. Federico Ruiz (S), 6-2, 6-4