ITHACA, N.Y. – A day removed from a 7-0 defeat at the hands of Columbia, the Harvard men's tennis team rebounded in strong fashion, taking down No. 46 Cornell, 5-2, Sunday on its home courts. Harvard ups its record to 12-6 on the season and 1-1 in league action.
The doubles duos finally gelled for the Crimson Sunday, yielding wins on all three doubles courts to secure the opening point of the match. Harvard's top team of No. 11 Denis Nguyen and Casey MacMaster disposed of Jason Luu and Quoc-Daniel Nguyen, 8-5, to set the tone. The second team of Nicky Hu and Brian Yeung and the third tandem of Sebastian Beltrame and Christo Schultz both collected 8-6 wins to complete the sweep for Harvard.
Alex Steinroeder put forth the strongest singles effort of the day for Harvard, downing Alex Sidney, 6-2, 6-3, at the fourth position for Harvard's second point of the match. Luu took down rookie Andrew Ball, 6-1, 6-1 at No. 6, but Yeung collected a straight-set victory of his own at No. 5, 7-6, 6-3 over Chris Vrabel. Beltrame needed three sets to close out Stefan Vinti on the second court, 3-6, 6-3, 6-3, as did junior Shaun Chaudhuri at No. 3 against Casares Rose, 6-7, 6-1, 6-3. Denis Nguyen dropped a third set tiebreaker against Sam Fleck in a 7-6, 5-7, 10-7 defeat in the final match of the day.
Harvard will host its Ivy home opener next weekend when it welcomes Princeton to Cambridge Saturday, before hosting Penn Sunday. Both matches will be streamed live on the Ivy League Digital Network if they are played indoors at the Murr Center.
1. #11 Casey MacMaster/Denis Nguyen (H) def. Jason Luu/Quoc-Daniel Nguyen, 8-5
2. Nicky Hu/Brian Yeung (H) def. #69 Sam Fleck/Chris Vrabel, 8-6
3. Sebastian Beltrame/Christo Schultz (H) def. Bernardo Casares Rosa/Colin Sinclair, 8-6
1. Sam Fleck (C) def. #31 D. Nguyen, 7-6, 5-7, (10-7)
2. #111 Beltrame (H) def. Stefan Vinti, 3-6, 6-3, 6-3
3. Shaun Chaudhuri (H) def. Casares Rosa, 6-7, 6-1, 6-3
4. Alex Steinroeder (H) def. Alex Sidney, 6-2, 6-3
5. Yeung (H) def. Vrabel, 7-6, 6-3
6. Luu (C) def. Andrew Ball, 6-1, 6-1