Shaun Chaudhuri collected one of six straight-set singles wins for Harvard Sunday (Gil Talbot).
CAMBRIDGE, Mass. – The Harvard men's tennis team had all cylinders firing Sunday on its home courts, as the Crimson blanked Ivy rival Yale, 7-0, at the Beren Tennis Courts. Harvard ups its overall record to 16-5 and 5-1 in the Ivy League with the win.
The doubles duos were dominant for the home team Sunday, as service breaks occurred on all three courts within the first two games. Christo Schultz and Sebastian Beltrame were the first to finish, utilizing the early break to power to an 8-5 finish. Nicky Hu and Brian Yeung were right on their heels on the second court, playing to a clean 8-3 win to claim Harvard's fifth straight doubles point. Denis Nguyen and Casey MacMaster were within points of the victory at first doubles, but play was stopped once the point was clinched.
Singles featured a sextet of straight-set victories, led by Beltrame's effort on the second court. The rookie peppered his opponent with deep balls and closed out a 6-2, 6-3 win to put the hosts up 2-0. Yeung finished soon after on the fifth court, serving out a 6-3, 6-2 win to bring Harvard within a point of the match victory. Alex Steinroeder had the honor of closing out the match for the Crimson, battling in the final game of a 6-3, 6-2 win at fourth singles. Shaun Chaudhuri and Nicky Hu finished nearly at the same time with the former claiming a 6-2, 6-4 win at No. 3 and the latter powering through the second set in a 6-4, 6-1 win at No. 5. Nguyen took a tiebreaker in the first set of his match and then stepped on the gas, finishing off a 7-6, 6-2 win on the top court.
The win Sunday sets up a showdown with Ivy foe Dartmouth next Saturday with a potential at-large berth to the NCAA tournament at stake. The Crimson will host the Big Green in a 2 p.m., matchup.
1. Nguyen/MacMaster (H) vs. Lu/Svenning (Y), 7-3 (DNF)
2. Hu/Yeung (H) def. Chase/Dawson (Y), 8-3
3. Beltrame/Schultz (H) def. Faierman/Photiades (Y), 8-5
1. Denis Nguyen (H) def. Tyler Lu (Y), 7-6, 6-2
2. Sebastian Beltrame (H) def. Martin Svenning (Y), 6-2, 6-3
3. Shaun Chaudhuri (H) def. Daniel Faierman (Y), 6-2, 6-4
4. Alex Steinroeder (H) def. Kyle Dawson (Y), 6-3, 6-2
5. Brian Yeung (H) def. Photos Photiades (Y), 6-3, 6-2
6. Nicky Hu (H) def. Zach Krumholz (Y), 6-4, 6-1