CAMBRIDGE, Mass. – The Harvard men's tennis team (16-8, 4-0 Ivy League) won its seventh straight dual match, defeating No. 20 Columbia (14-4, 3-1 Ivy League), 4-2, at the Beren Tennis Center to move atop the Ivy League standings.
"It was a great all-around win today," said associate head coach Andrew Rueb. "Columbia is a fantastic team and we had to bring our best. It was a great atmosphere for a college tennis match and a beautiful day at Beren."
Harvard won the doubles point with a come-from-behind 7-5 win by No. 3 doubles pair Logan Weber and Christopher Morrow. Then at No. 1 doubles, No. 74 Brian Yeung and Kenny Tao won a tiebreaker at 7-6 to move to 15-6 on the season.
In singles play, after Columbia won singles matches at No. 1 and No. 6, Tao evened the score at 2-2 with a 6-4, 6-1 victory.
Andy Zhou made it 3-2 with a 6-2, 7-5 win at No. 5 singles. Co-captain Jean Thirouin clinched the dual match with a 4-6, 6-1, 6-4 win at No. 3.
The Crimson will take on No. 25 Cornell tomorrow afternoon at Beren Tennis Center with the dual match scheduled to being at 1 p.m.
"The guys have been focused on the process and getting better each day," Rueb said. "They will need the same focus for a top notch Cornell team tomorrow."
1) Brian Yeung/Kenny Tao (Harvard) def. Victor Pham/Richard Pham (Columbia), 7-6 (7-4)
2) Shawn Hadavi/Jackie Tang (Columbia) def. Jean Thirouin/Sebastian Beltrame (Harvard), 6-4
3) Christopher Morrow/Logan Weber (Harvard) def. Christopher Grant/Michal Rolski (Columbia), 7-5
Order of finish: 2,3,1
1) Shawn Hadavi (Columbia) def. Sebastian Beltrame (Harvard), 6-4, 6-0
2) Kenny Tao (Harvard) def. Victor Pham (Columbia), 6-1, 6-4
3) Jean Thirouin (Harvard) def. Jackie Tang (Columbia), 4-6, 6-1, 6-4
4) Brian Yeung (Harvard) vs. Alex Keyser (Columbia), 6-7, DNF
5) Andy Zhou (Harvard) def. Will Matheson (Columbia), 6-2, 7-5
6) Tim Wong (Columbia) def. Christopher Morrow (Harvard), 6-0, 6-2
Order of finish: 1,6,2,5,3