NCAA Bound!: Johnson’s Goal in Final Moments Leads Harvard to 2-1 Victory Over Dartmouth; Crimson Clinches Share of Ivy Title

Harvard celebrates after Peyton Johnson won the game with a goal at 89:50 (Kevin Burns).

CAMBRIDGE, Mass. – With 10 seconds remaining in regulation, Harvard's Peyton Johnson buried a free kick from 20 yards out to lift the Crimson to a 2-1 win over Dartmouth Saturday afternoon at the Soldiers Field Soccer Stadium.

With the victory and Penn's 0-0 tie at Brown, the Crimson clinches a share of the program's 10th Ivy League title and earns the conference's automatic berth in the NCAA tournament for the third time in the last four years. Harvard, which improves to 11-4-1 and 5-0-1 in the Ivy, improves to 10-1 at home. The Crimson's 11 victories mark the most for the program since the 2001 season. Harvard also extends its unbeaten streak to nine games (8-0-1) since Sept. 18.

The Crimson will look to clinch the Ivy crown outright when it concludes the regular season on the road at Columbia Saturday, Nov. 5 at 7 p.m. Harvard will then learn its opponent for the upcoming NCAA tournament during the selection show Nov. 7.

Dartmouth tallied the game's first goal, scoring from a long shot by Aurelia Solomon that sailed from 25 yards out and fit underneath the crossbar at 9:04.

With time winding down in the first half, Erika Garcia made a quick cross pass toward the front of the net. Melanie Baskind accepted the pass and beat goalkeeper Tatiana Sanders to tie the game. 1-1, at 43:01.

At the break, shots were event, 5-5, and each team earned one corner kick after 45 minutes of play.

The Crimson controlled much of the action in the second half, earning all seven corner kicks in the frame and outshooting the Big Green, 9-7. In the final moments of regulation, Dartmouth was called for a foul just outside of its box, setting up a free kick from the right side for the Crimson at 89:50. Johnson stepped up to take the free kick and sent the ball inside the left post, giving Harvard the win.

Bethany Kanten finished with four saves for the Crimson, while Saunders made one stop for Dartmouth. The Crimson held the final count in shots, 14-12, and corners, 8-1.