Sophie Chang picked up a singles victory over Nevada’s Sophie Stevens (photo courtesy of DSPics.com).
WACO, Texas –
After dropping the doubles point, Harvard came back in the singles
matches to take down Nevada, 4-1, in the consolation match at the
ITA Kickoff Weekend.
After Harvard and Nevada split the No. 2 and 3 doubles matches, sophomore Holly Cao and junior Samantha Rosekrans fought for the doubles point, but was unable to win the match, as they fell to Maria Mizyuk and Sophie Stevens, 8-6. Freshmen duo Hideko Tachibana and Kristin Norton lost to Florence De Vrye and Emma Verbene, 8-4, in the No. 2 match, while freshman Sophie Chang and junior Samantha Gridley defeated Lais Ogata and Aline Laurioux, 8-5, in the No. 3 spot.
Harvard picked up four straight set victories in singles play to pick up the win for the afternoon. Chang started off the singles play with a 6-3, 6-4 win over Stevens in the No. 5 match. Norton followed with a 6-3, 6-3 victory over Verbene in the No. 3 position. Rosekrans clinched the win for the Crimson with a 7-5, 6-1 win over Ogata in the No. 4 match.
The Crimson will host cross-town foe Boston College on Feb. 6 at the Murr Center Tennis Courts. Doubles play begins at noon.
1. Holly Cao (Harvard) vs. Maria Mizyuk (UNR) unfinished
2. Hideko Tachibana (Harvard) def. Florence De Vrye (UNR) 6-2, 6-2
3. Kristin Norton (Harvard) def. Emma Verberne (UNR) 6-3, 6-3
4. Samantha Rosekrans (Harvard) def. Lais Ogata (UNR) 7-5, 6-1
5. Sophie Chang (Harvard) def. Sophie Stevens (UNR) 6-3, 6-4
6. Alexandra Lehman (Harvard) vs. Aline Laurioux (UNR) unfinished
1. Maria Mizyuk/Sophie Stevens (UNR) def. Holly Cao/Samantha Rosekrans (Harvard) 8-6
2. Florence De Vrye/Emma Verbene (UNR) def. Hideko Tachibana/Kristin Norton (Harvard) 8-4
3. Sophie Chang/Samantha Gridley (Harvard) def. Lais Ogata/Aline Laurioux (UNR) 8-5
Order of finish: Doubles (2,3,1); Singles (5,3,2,4)