Samantha Rosekrans picked up a win in the No. 4 singles match (photo courtesy DSPics.com)
URBANA, Ill. - After sweeping the doubles
matches, No. 39 Illinois won four of six singles matches to pick up
a 5-2 victory over the Crimson Sunday afternoon at the Atkins
In doubles play, the Illini came out on top in all three matches. Freshman Kristin Norton and junior Samantha Rosekrans lost, 8-0, to Rachel White and Chelcie Abajian in the No. 2 match. Sophomore Holly Cao and freshman Hideko Tachibana lost a close match, 8-4, to Megan Fudge and Leigh Finnegan in the No. 1 matchup. With the doubles point already claimed, Illinois' Breanne Smutko and Marisa Lambropoulos defeated freshman Alexandra Lehman and sophomore Samantha Gridley, 8-3.
In singles play, Illinois claimed three consecutive straight-set victories to clinch the match win. Finnegan handed Lehman a 6-3, 6-1 loss inthe No. 5 match while Gridley fell, 6-3, 6-2, to Smutko in the No. 6 match. In a close fought match, Tachibana fell to White, 6-4, 7-5 in the No. 2 match. Harvard picked up its first win of the afternoon as Norton handed Lambropoulos a 6-4, 6-4 straight set loss in the No. 3 match. Cao suffered her first loss of the season at the No. 1 spot as Fudge won, 6-4, 6-3. In the only match to go three sets, Rosekrans defeated Abajian, 6-4, 0-6, 7-5 to give Harvard its second point.
The Crimson continues its road stretch as it travels to Florida next weekend to take on Central Florida, March 6, and South Florida, March 8.
1. Megan Fudge (ILL) def. #57 Holly Cao (HARV) 6-4, 6-3
2. #85 Rachael White (ILL) def. #115 Hideko Tachibana (HARV) 6-4, 7-5
3. Kristin Norton (HARV) def. Marisa Lambropoulos (ILL) 6-4, 6-4
4. Samantha Rosekrans (HARV) def. Chelcie Abajian (ILL) 6-4, 0-6, 7-5
5. Leigh Finnegan (ILL) def. Alexandra Lehman (HARV) 6-3, 6-1
6. Breanne Smutko (ILL) def. Samantha Gridley (HARV) 6-3, 6-2
1. Megan Fudge/Leigh Finnegan (ILL) def. Holly Cao/Hideko Tachibana (HARV) 8-4
2. Rachael White/Chelcie Abajian (ILL) def. Kristin Norton/Samantha Rosekrans (HARV) 8-0
3. Breanne Smutko/Marisa Lambropoulos (ILL) def. Alexandra Lehman/Samantha Gridley (HARV) 8-3
Order of finish: Doubles (2,3,1); Singles (5,6,2,3,1,4)