Women's Tennis Blanked by No. 9 California
Pictured: Caroline Davis
Photo Courtesy: David Silverman Photography
BERKELEY, Calif. - The Harvard women's tennis
team was swept by California Wednesday afternoon at the Hellmen
Tennis Complex. The Golden Bears claimed the doubles point and went
on to win all six doubles matches.
In doubles play, sophomore Caroline Davis and freshman Alexandra Lehman fell in the No. 3 match, 8-4. The Golden Bears clinched the doubles point in the No. 2 matchup after the freshman duo of Kristin Norton and Hideko Tachibana fell to Marina Cossou and Kasia Siwosz, 8-2. On court one, sophomore Holly Cao and junior Samantha Rosekrans dropped their match to No. 6 Mari Andersson and Jana Juricova, 8-4.
Cal picked up its first singles point of the afternoon when freshman Sophie Chang lost, 6-0, 6-1, to Annie Goransson on court five. In the No. 5 match, Lehman fell to Stephany Chang, 6-1, 6-2. Cal clinched the match victory as No. 16 Cossou defeated Tachibana, 6-3, 6-0 on court two. In the No. 3 match, Norton fell to No. 50 Andersson, 6-3, 6-3. Rosekrans and Siwosz battled in the first set on court four, but Siwosz came out with a 7-5 victory and won the second set, 6-2. Cao picked up a 6-4 win the first set of the No. 1 match, but No. 2 Juricova bounced back to win 6-3 in the second set. The tiebreaker was close at the beginning, but Juricova pulled away with a 10-4 victory to end the match.
The Crimson is back on the courts tomorrow afternoon as they travel to Moraga, Calif. take on the St. Mary's Gaels. Doubles play is scheduled to begin at 5 p.m. (ET).
1. No. 6 Andersson/Juricova (CAL) def. Cao/Rosekrans (HAR) 8-4
2. Cossou/Siwosz (CAL) def. Norton/Tachibana (HAR) 8-2
3. Chang/Goransson (CAL) def. Davis/Lehman (HAR) 8-4
1. No. 2 Jana Juricova (CAL) def. No. 54 Holly Cao (HAR) 4-6, 6-3, 1-0(4)
2. No. 16 Marina Cossou (CAL) def. Hideko Tachibana (HAR) 6-3, 6-0
3. No. 50 Mari Andersson (CAL) def. Kristin Norton (HAR) 6-3, 6-2
4. Kasia Siwosz (CAL) def. Samantha Rosekrans (HAR) 7-5, 6-2
5. Annie Goransson (CAL) def. Sophie Chang (HAR) 6-0, 6-1
6. Stephany Chang (CAL) def. Alexandra Lehman (HAR) 6-1, 6-2
Order of finish: Doubles (3,2,1); Singles (5, 6, 2, 3, 4, 1)