Women's Tennis Opens Ivy League Play With 7-0 Win over Columbia
Samantha Rosekrans tallied her 10th victory of the dual season in the No. 4 spot (photo courtesy of DSPics.com).
CAMBRIDGE, Mass. - The Harvard women's tennis
team opened up its 36th season of Ivy League play with a 7-0 sweep
of Columbia. The Crimson won two of the three doubles matches
before claiming all six singles spots.
The freshman duo of Hideko Tachibana and Kristin Norton got things started for the Crimson with an 8-4 win over Natasha Makarova and Carling Donovan in the No. 2 doubles match. Sophomore Holly Cao and junior Samantha Rosekrans picked up an 8-5 win over Nicole Bartnik and Katarina Kovacevic in the No. 2 match to give Harvard a 1-0 advantage heading into singles action. Sophomores Caroline Davis and Samantha Gridley dropped a close 8-7 (4) match in the No. 3 doubles match.
In singles play, Harvard cruised to victory with a sweep on all six courts. Columbia's Bartnik won the first set on court one, 3-6, but Cao prevailed in the following two sets, 7-6(5), 10-6, to pick up the win. In the No. 2 match, Tachibana defeated Makarova, 7-6 (3), 6-2, while Norton picked up a 7-6 (4), 6-2 win over Davis on court three. Rosekrans easily won the No. 4 match, defeating Columbia's Kovacevic, 6-3, 6-1. On court five, freshman Alex Lehman won the first set, 6-3, before falling in the second set, 4-6. Lehman claimed the victory with a 6-4 win in the third set. Gridley rounded out the singles victories for the Crimson with a 6-3, 6-3 victory over Diana Shapoval.
With the wins, Norton and Rosekrans each tallied their 10th wins
of the dual season.
Harvard returns to the courts tomorrow afternoon to take on Cornell. Doubles play with begin at noon at the Beren Tennis Center.
1. Cao/Rosekrans (Harvard) def. Bartnik/Kovacevic (Columbia) 8-5
2. Tachibana/Norton (Harvard) def. Makarova/Donovan (Columbia) 8-4
3. Davis/Matache (Columbia) def. Davis/Gridley (Harvard) 8-7 (4)
1. Holly Cao (Harvard) def.Nicole Bartnik (Columbia) 3-6, 7-6 (5), 10-6
2. Hideko Tachibana (Harvard) def. Natasha Makarova (Columbia) 7-6 (3) 6-2
3. Kristin Norton (Harvard) def. Chelsea Davis (Columbia) 7-6(4) 6-2
4. Samantha Rosekrans (Harvard) def. Katarina Kovacevic (Columbia) 6-3, 6-1
5. Alex Lehman (Harvard) def. Eliza Matache (Columbia) 6-3 4-6 6-4
6. Samantha Gridley (Harvard) def Diana Shapoval (Columbia) 6-3 6-3