Women's Tennis Sweeps Penn, 7-0, Moves to 3-1 in Ivy League
Alexandra Lehman picked up a win in No. 4 singles (photo courtesy of DSPics.com).
PHILADELPHIA - The Harvard women's tennis team
bounced back from a loss on Friday to sweep Penn, 7-0, Saturday
afternoon at the Lott Tennis Courts. The Crimson is now 3-1 in
conference play, with an 11-7 overall record.
Harvard started out the afternoon by sweeping all three doubles matches. Junior captain Samantha Rosekrans and sophomore Holly Cao picked up their eighth victory of the dual season in the No. 1 doubles match with an 8-0 win over Princeton's Alexa Ely and Jacqueline Wong. In the No. 2 match, rookies Hideko Tachibana and Kristin Norton teamed up for an 8-2 win over Jules Rodin and Emily Wolf, while the sophomore duo of Caroline Davis and Samantha Gridley picked up an 8-3 win on court 3.
In singles play, Harvard won all on six courts, with just won match going into a tiebreaker set. Cao picked up her 13th dual win of the season after defeating Ely, 6-1, 6-2, in the No. 1 match. On court 2, Tachibana picked up a 6-2, 7-5 win over Wolf, while Norton cruised to a 6-2, 6-1 win over Wong in the No. 3 match. Rosekrans also picked up her 13th dual win of the season after beating Rodin, 6-2, 6-3, on court 4. In the No. 5 matchup, Alexandra Lehman handed Daniela DePaoli a 6-4, 6-4 loss. In the No. 6 match, Gridley dropped the first set, 4-6, but bounced back for a 6-3 win in the second, forcing the only tiebreaker of the afternoon. She fought for a 10-5 victory and capped off the scoring for the Crimson.
Harvard returns to the courts Friday afternoon to face Brown. Doubles play begins at 2 p.m. Friday will also be the USTA Campus Kids Day, where children can join the women's tennis team for a free clinic following the match.
1. Cao/Rosekrans (H) def. Ely/Wong (P), 8-0
2. Tachibana/Norton (H) def. Rodin/Wolf (P), 8-2
3. Davis/Gridley (H) def. DePaoli/Whitfield (P), 8-3
1. Holly Cao (H) def. Alexa Ely (P), 6-1, 6-2
2. Hideko Tachibana (H) def. Emily Wolf (P), 6-2, 7-5
3. Kristin Norton (H) def. Jacqueline Wong (P), 6-2, 6-1
4. Samantha Rosekrans (H) def. Jules Rodin (P), 6-2, 6-3
5. Alexandra Lehman (H) def. Daniela DePaoli (P), 6-4, 6-4
6. Samantha Gridley (H) def. Emma Whitfield (P), 4-6, 6-3 (10-5)