Women's Tennis Closes Regular Season With 4-3 Win Over Dartmouth
HANOVER, N.H. - The Harvard women's tennis team
wrapped up the 2010 regular season with a 4-3 victory over
Dartmouth Wedesday afternoon at the Boss Tennis Center. Freshman Kristin
Norton clinched the match for the Crimson with a comeback
victory in the second set in the No. 3 singles match.
Harvard started off the afternoon winning the doubles point after Holly Cao and Samantha Rosekrans defeated Molly Scott and Mary Beth Winingham, 8-5, in the No. 1 doubles match. On court three, Agnes Sibilski and Samantha Gridley lost, 8-2, before Norton and Hideko Tachibana picked up an 8-2 in in the No. 2 doubles match, which left the teams waiting on court one.
Cao helped the Crimson jump out to a 2-0 lead as she picked up a 6-2, 6-2 win over Scott in the No. 1 match. Dartmouth's Jesse Alder defeated Rosekrans, 6-2, 6-2, in the No. 4 match to help the Big Green get within one. Tachibana cruised to a 6-3, 6-0 victory on court two to give Harvard a two point advantage. On court six, Alexandra Lehman fell to Georgiana Smyser, 6-3, in the first set, before winning by the same score in the second set. Lehman was unable to keep momentum going as she fell, 6-3, in the third set.
On court three, Norton and Winingham battled back and forth in a close match before Norton picked up a 7-5 win in the first set. Down 2-5 in the second set, Norton rallied back and clinched the match win for the Crimson with a 7-6(9) victory in the second set. In the final match of the afternoon, Sibilski lost to Carley Markovitz, 6-2, 6-4, in the No. 5 match.
"We've made some great strides as a team and I am proud of the
way we've pulled together and competed," head coach Traci Green
said after the match. "We continued to gain momentum with each Ivy
match and the icing on the cake would be an NCAA tournament
With a 14-7 overall record, and a 6-1 mark in the Ivy League, Harvard now awaits an announcement regarding the NCAA Tennis Championships. The selection show can be seen on ESPNews Tuesday, May 4 between 5-6 p.m., and the first round of the tournament begins Friday, May 14 at campus sites.
1. Holly Cao/Samantha Rosenkrans (H) def. Molly Scott/Mary Beth Winingham (D), 8-5
2. Kristin Norton/Hideko Tachibana (H) def. Sarah Leonard/Julia Zak (D), 8-2
3. Jesse Adler/Georgiana Smyser (D) def. Agnes Sibilski/Samantha Gridley (H), 8-2
Order of finish: 3,2,1
1. Holly Cao (H) def. Molly Scott (D), 6-2, 6-2
2. Hideko Tachibana (H) def. Sarah Leonard (D), 6-3, 6-0
3. Kristin Norton (H) def. Mary Beth Winingham (D), 7-5, 7-6 (9)
4. Jesse Adler (D) def. Samantha Rosenkrans (H), 6-2, 6-2
5. Carley Markovitz (D) def. Agnes Sibilski (H), 6-2, 6-4
6. Georgiana Smyser (D) def. Alexandra Lehman (H), 6-3, 3-6, 6-3
Order of finish: 1,4,2,6,3*,5