Photo of Samantha Rosekrans courtesy of DSPics.com.
CLEMSON, S.C. – The No. 39 Harvard women’s tennis team suffered a 4-0 loss to No. 19 Georgia, Friday in the opening round of the NCAA Tournament. The Bulldogs claimed the doubles point before winning three singles matches en route to the victory.
Check out pictures of the Harvard women's tennis
team on Replay Photos
The duo of Naoko Ueshima and Yvette Hyndman proved to be too much for Agnes Sibilski and Samantha Gridley, as they cruised to an 8-1 victory in the No. 3 doubles match. On court one, the eighth-ranked pair of Chelsey Gullikson and Nadja Gilchrist defeated Holly Cao and Samantha Rosekrans, 8-1. In the No. 2 match, Kristin Norton and Hideko Tachibana were leading Georgia’s Lara Fakhoury and Cameron Ellis, 5-4, when the doubles point was claimed.
In the No. 5 singles match, Sibilski struggled to hold off Ellis as she lost, 6-1, 6-1, andAlexandra Lehman fell, 6-1, 6-1, on court six to Fakhoury. Georgia’s Hyndman clinched the match for the Bulldogs with a 6-2, 6-3 win over Norton in the No. 3 match. Rosekrans was leading Ueshima, 7-5, 3-1, on court four and Cao was close to tying the match on court one as she held a 5-2 lead in the second set.
“Our team was really excited to be here and compete in the NCAA Tournament,” head coach Traci Green said following the match. “I’m really proud of the way we competed in the singles. I think we were a little bit rusty in doubles, but overall I think we did a pretty good job out here today.”
With the loss, the Crimson finishes the season at 14-8. Cao will travel to Athens, Ga., May 26-31 to compete in the NCAA individual tournament. The complete bracket will be released on May 25.
1. Chelsey Gullickson/Nadja Gilchrist (UGA) def. Holly Cao/Samantha Rosekrans (Harvard), 8-1
2. Hideko Tachibana/Kristin Norton (Harvard) vs. Lara Fakhoury/Cameron Ellis (UGA), DNF
3. Naoko Ueshima/Yvette Hyndman (UGA) def. Agnes Sibilski/Samantha Gridley (Harvard), 8-1
Order of finish: 3, 1*
1. No. 12 Chelsey Gullikson (UGA) vs. No. 73 Holly Cao (Harvard), DNF
2. Hideko Tachibana (Harvard) vs. No. 48 Nadja Gilchrist (UGA), DNF
3. Yvette Hyndman (UGA) def. Kristin Norton (Harvard), 6-2, 6-3
4. Samantha Rosekrans (Harvard) vs. Naoko Ueshima (UGA), DNF
5. Cameron Ellis (UGA) def. Agnes Sibilski (Harvard), 6-1, 6-1
6. Lara Fakhoury (UGA) def. Alexandra Lehman (Harvard), 6-1, 6-1
Order of finish: 5, 6, 3*