Samantha Rosekrans clinched the victory for the Crimson with a win in the No. 4 singles match (photo courtesy of DSPics.com).
NEW HAVEN, Conn. - The Harvard women's tennis
team defeated Yale, 4-3, Sunday afternoon at the Cullman-Heyman
Tennis Center. With the win, the Crimson now stands in sole
possession of second place in the Ivy League with a 5-1 record.
The doubles point proved to be critical as Harvard and Yale split the singles matches, with each side earning three points. In the No. 1 doubles match, Samantha Rosekrans and Holly Cao defated Yale's Vicky Brook and Lindsay Clark, 8-3. Hideko Tachibana and Kristin Norton also picked up an 8-3 victory in their doubles match, downing Jessica Rhee and Stephanie Kent on court two. Alexandra Lehman and Agnes Sibilski fell 8-2 in the No. 3 match.
In singles play, Yale's Clark came back and tied the match 1-1 with a 6-1, 6-2 victory over Lehman in the No. 6 match. Sibilski lost her first set on court five, 6-2, but bounced back and won the next two, 6-3, 6-3, to help Harvard regain the lead. In the No. 2 match, Tachibana handed Kent a 7-6(5), 6-3 loss. Down 3-1, Yale fought back and claimed a 3-6, 6-2, 6-3 victory over Norton on court three to cut the Crimson lead to 3-2. Cao jumped out to an early lead on court one with a 6-2 win in the first set, but was unable to outlast Brook and fell 7-6(5), 6-4, in the next two sets, to force the match to be decided on court four.
In the first set, Rosekrans lost to Stevi Petrelli, 6-7(5), but tied it up with a 6-4 win in the second set. With all of the other courts finished and the match tied at 3-3, Rosekrans pulled out a 6-3 victory in the third set to give Harvard the match win.
Harvard wraps up the regular season at Dartmouth on Wednesday. Doubles play is scheduled to begin at 3 p.m.
1. Vicky Brook (Yale) def. #67 Holly Cao (Harvard), 2-6, 7-6 (5), 6-4
2. Hideko Tachibana (Harvard) def. Stephanie Kent (Yale), 7-6 (5), 6-3
3. Jessica Rhee (Yale) def. Kristin Norton (Harvard), 3-6, 6-2, 6-3
4. Samantha Rosenkrans (Harvard) def. Stevi Petrelli (Yale), 6-7 (5), 6-4, 6-3
5. Agnes Sibliski (Harvard) def. Elizabeth Epstein (Yale), 2-6, 6-3, 6-3
6. Lindsay Clark (Yale) def. Alexandra Lehman (Harvard), 6-1, 6-2
1. H. Cao /S. Rosenkrans (H) def. V. Brook/L. Clark (Yale), 8-3
2. H. Tachibana /K. Norton (H) def. J. Rhee/S. Kent (Yale), 8-3
3. E. Epstein/S. Petrelli (Y) def. A. Lehman/A. Sibliski (Harvard), 8-2