No. 44 Women’s Tennis Opens 2011 With Victory
Hideko Tachibana won her single and doubles match against BU Saturday (photo courtesy Gil Talbot).
CAMBRIDGE, Mass. - The Harvard women's tennis team captured a 5-2 win over cross-town rival Boston University Saturday afternoon. The Crimson captured five of the singles matches, while dropping two doubles matches.
No. 45 Holly Cao got Harvard going with a straight sets defeat of Stephanie Nunic, 6-4, 6-2. Sophomore Hideko Tachibana also grabbed a win for the Crimson, playing in the No. 2 spot, downing Vivien Laszoloffy, 4-6, 6-2, 1-0 (5).
Kristin Norton, Natalie Blosser and Samantha Gridley all also secured straight set wins for Harvard during the match, including Gridley's 6-0, 6-0 drumming of Vanessa Steiner. The Terriers picked up their lone singles win when Samantha Rosekrans retired in the first set against Leonie-Charlotte Athanasiadis.
Tachibana and Blosser paired for Harvard's only doubles win of the match. The duo took down Jessi Linero and Athanasiadis, 8-5.
Prior to the match, head coach Traci Green and the Crimson players hosted Arthur Ashe Youth Tennis and Education Center junior players and staff for a campus tour and on-court clinic. A group photo of the event can be found in the photo gallery.
The Crimson will next be in action when they travel to No. 9 Northwestern to compete in the ITA Division I Kickoff Weekend hosted by the Wildcats Jan. 29-30. Harvard will take on Northwestern Saturday and then face either No. 34 Nebraska or No. 38 Boise State Sunday.
1. Stefanie Nunic/Vivien Laszloffy (BU) def. Holly Cao/Kristin Norton (Harvard): 8-4
2. Hideko Tachibana/Natalie Blosser (Harvard) def. Jessi Linero/Leonie-Charlotte Athanasiadis (BU): 8-5.
3. Monika Mical/Vanessa Steiner (BU) def. Sam Rosekrans/Hannah Morrill (Harvard): 8-6
1. Cao (Harvard) def. Nunic (BU): 6-4 6-2
2. Tachibana (Harvard) def. Laszloffy (BU): 4-6, 6-2, 1-0(5)
3. Norton (Harvard) def. Mical (BU): 6-4, 6-1
4. Athanasiadis (BU) def. Rosekrans (Harvard): 5-2. Ret.
5. Blosser (Harvard) def. Linero (BU): 6-0, 7-5
6. Sam Gridley (Harvard) def. Steiner (BU): 6-0 6-0