No. 68 Women's Tennis Loses Tight Match to No. 75 William & Mary, 4-3
Kristin Norton won the No. 1 doubles and No. 3 singles matches against William & Mary Saturday (photo courtesy Gil Talbot).
CAMBRIDGE, Mass. – The No. 68 Harvard women’s tennis team dropped a heartbreaker to No. 75 William & Mary, 4-3, Saturday afternoon at the Murr Center. The Crimson is now 3-6 overall this season.
The Tribe grabbed the lead early, taking two of three doubles matches to earn the first point of the match. William & Mary took the No. 2 and 3 doubles matches, while Kristin Norton and Hideko Tachibana won the No. 1 match for the Crimson, 8-2. The duo of Norton and Tachibana is now 3-2 in No. 1 doubles matches this season.
The teams would spilt the singles matches, 3-3, to give William & Mary the 4-3 victory. Harvard’s Holly Cao improved to 7-0 in singles play this spring after defeating Hope Johnson, 6-4, 6-1, in the No. 1 singles match.
Norton earned her second victory of the day, downing Anik Cepeda in the No. 3 match, 6-3, 6-4. Samantha Gridley picked up Harvard’s third point in the No. 5 match over Lauren Sabacinski.
The Crimson is back on the courts Sunday when it hosts No. 63 Purdue at noon in the Murr Center.
1. Norton/Tachibana(Harvard) def. Johnson/Cepeda(WM) 8-2
2. Mesgarzdeh/Kargl(WM) def. Blosser/Cao(Harvard) 8-2
3. Sabicinski/Loomans(WM) def. Morrill/Rosekrans(Harvard) 8-3
1. Cao(Harvard) def. Johnson(WM) 6-4, 6-1
2. Loomans(WM) def. Tachibana(Harvard) 4-6, 7-5, 6-4
3. Norton(Harvard) def. Cepeda(WM) 6-3, 6-4
4. Kargl(WM) def. Blosser(Harvard) 6-2, 6-3
5. Gridley(Harvard) def. Sabicinski(WM) 3-6, 6-3, 1-0 Ret.
6. Mamiit(WM) def. Lehman(Harvard) 6-4, 7-6(2)