No. 51 Women's Tennis Topples San Francisco, 6-1
Holly Cao won the No. 2 doubles and No. 1 singles matches Thursday against San Francisco (Gil Talbot).
SAN FRANCISCO, Calif. – The Harvard women's tennis team rolled past San Francisco Thursday afternoon, 6-1. The Crimson improves to 5-6 this season.
Harvard jumped out to an early lead winning the doubles point. Hideko Tachibana and Kristin Norton sped through Cecile Duriez and Yurie Hashiguchi, 8-1, in the No. 1 doubles. Samantha Rosekrans and Natalie Blosser won the No. 3 doubles match for the Crimson by the same score, while Holly Cao and Hannah Morrill took the No. 2 doubles match, 8-5, for Harvard.
The Crimson continued its dominance in singles, taking five of the six matches. Cao won the No. 1 singles match in three sets over Julia Wartenburger, improving to 9-0 in singles play this season. Tachibana and Norton followed with straight set victories in the No. 2 and 3 matches, respectively. Blosser earned her second win of the match, coming back from losing the first set to defeat Jessy Mekpoh in the No. 5 singles match, 0-6, 6-4, 10-5. Morrill also captured a three-set win in the No. 6 match over Alana McMahon.
No. 48 St. Mary's (Calif.) hosts Harvard Friday in the final match of the Crimson's spring break trip.
Harvard def. USF 6-1
1. Tachibana/Norton (Harvard) def. Duriez/Hashiguchi (USF) 8-1
2. Cao/Morrill (Harvard) def. Gratian/Wartenburger (USF) 8-5
3. Rosekrans/Blosser def. Gratan/Akerbrant (USF) 8-1
1. Cao (Harvard) def. Wartenburger (USF) 6-3, 2-6, 6-1
2. Tachibana (Harvard) def. Duriez (USF) 6-3, 7-5
3. Norton (Harvard) def. Hashiguchi (USF) 6-1, 6-2
4. Gratian (USF) def. Gridley (Harvard) 6-4, 6-0
5. Blosser (Harvard) def. Mekpoh (USF) 0-6, 6-4, 10-5
6. Morrill (Harvard) def. McMahon (USF) 6-4, 2-6, 10-7