Samantha Gridley won the No. 5 singles match in Harvard's victory over Cornell (Gil Talbot).
ITHACA, N.Y. – The No. 54 Harvard women’s tennis team opened its Ivy League schedule with a 7-0 sweep of Cornell Friday afternoon. The victory moves the Crimson to .500 this season with a 6-6 record.
Doubles play kicked off the match with Hannah Morrill and Holly Cao defeating Christine Ordway and Ryann Young, 8-4, in the No. 2 match. Hideko Tachibana and Kristin Norton secured the doubles point for the Crimson after downing the Comolli sisters, Kelly and Shannon, 8-5, in the No. 1 match. Samantha Rosekrans and Natalie Blosser completed the doubles sweep for Harvard with an 8-4 win in the No. 3 match.
The winning ways continued in singles play for the Crimson, as Harvard won each match in straight sets. Holly Cao improved to 10-0 this spring, knocking off Ordway, 6-0, 6-3. Morrill picked up her second win of the day, taking the No. 6 match over Sarah O’Neil, 6-1, 6-3.
Matches No. 2 and 5 wrapped up next with Tachibana and Samantha Gridley each capturing two-set wins. Norton then toppled Sinziana Chis, 6-3, 6-4, in the No. 3 match. Play concluded after K. Comolli retired in the second set against Blosser after losing the first set 7-5.
The Crimson will take on Columbia tomorrow afternoon seeking a 2-0 start in Ancient Eight play.
Harvard 7 def. Cornell 0
1. Tachibana/Norton (HAR) def. K. Comolli/S. Comolli; 8-5
2. Morrill/Cao (HAR) def. Ordway/Young (COR); 8-4
3. Rosekrans/Blosser (HAR) def. Dumitrescu/Chis (COR); 8-4
1. Cao (HAR) def. Ordway (COR); 6-0, 6-3
2. Tachibana (HAR) def. Young (COR); 6-1, 6-4
3. Norton (HAR) def. Chis (COR); 6-3, 6-4
4. Blosser (HAR) def. K. Comolli (COR); 7-5, 1-2, ret.
5. Gridley (HAR) def. Dumitrescu (COR); 6-4, 6-1
6. Morrill (HAR) def. O’Neil (COR); 6-1, 6-3
Order of Finish
Doubles: 2, 1, 3
Singles: 1, 6, 2, 5, 3, 4