No. 49 Princeton Edges No. 55 Harvard Women’s Tennis, 4-3
Kristin Norton won both her matches Sunday, but the Crimson fell to Princeton, 4-3 (Gil Talbot).
CAMBRIDGE, Mass. – The No. 55 Harvard women’s tennis team dropped a heartbreaker to No. 49 Princeton Sunday, 4-3. Each team won three singles matches, but the Tigers took two of three in doubles to take the match and hand the Crimson its first Ivy League loss of the season.
Rachel Saiontz and Monica Chow won the No. 2 doubles match, 8-4, over Harvard’s Holly Cao and Hannah Morrill to give the Tigers an early advantage. Harvard’s Kristin Norton and Hideko Tachibana rallied to a 9-7 victory in the top doubles match, but Katherine Flanigan and Alexa Krakaris secured the doubles point for Princeton, outlasting Natalie Blosser and Samantha Rosekrans, 8-6.
In singles play, Cao rebounded from her first singles loss of the dual season on Saturday with a straight-set win over Hilary Barlett in the No. 1 singles match. Norton improved to 11-4 in singles this spring with a 6-2, 7-5 win over Taylor Marable in the No. 3 match. Morrill picked up her second singles victory of the weekend with a dominant 6-0, 6-0 showing over Alexandra Epps in the No. 6 match. The Tigers though, would take the remaining three singles match, leaving Cambridge with the 4-3 victory.
The Crimson is now 8-7, 3-1 Ivy as it gets ready to host archrival Yale Friday at the Beren Tennis Center.
1. Norton/Tachibana(Harvard) def. Bartlett/Marable(Princeton) 9-7
2. Chow/Saiontz(Princeton) def. Cao/Morrill(Harvard) 8-4
3. Flanigan/Krakaris(Princeton) def. Blosser/Rosekrans(Harvard) 8-6
1. Cao(Harvard) def. Bartlett(Princeton) 6-4, 6-3
2. Saiontz(Princeton) def. Tachibana(Harvard) 6-0, 6-3
3. Norton(Harvard) def. Marable(Princeton) 6-2, 7-5
4. Chow(Princeton) def. Blosser(Harvard) 6-4, 6-1
5. Flanigan(Princeton) def. Gridley(Harvard) 4-6, 6-3, 6-2
6. Morrill(Harvard) def. Epps(Princeton) 6-0, 6-0