No. 66 Women's Tennis Keeps Ivy Title Hopes Alive, Defeats No. 45 Brown, 4-3
Hideko Tachibana won both her matches Sunday to help Harvard defeat Brown (Gil Talbot).
Providence, R.I. – The No. 66 Harvard women’s tennis team toppled No. 45 Brown Sunday afternoon, 4-3. The Crimson, 9-8, 4-2 Ivy, remain in contention for a share of the regular-season Ivy League title.
The Crimson picked up the critical doubles point early in the match with victories in the No. 1 and 3 matches. Harvard’s top pair, Hideko Tachibana and Kristin Norton, played a nail-biter against Bianca Aboubakare and Jessica Harrow, but pulled it out, winning 9-8. Natalie Blosser and Alexandra Lehman secured the doubles point for Harvard, trumping Misia Krasowski and Julie Flanzer, 8-6.
Holly Cao boosted her season win total in singles play to 14, taking the No. 1 match, 6-2, 6-2, over Krasowski. Cao’s doubles partner, Hannah Morrill earned another point for the Crimson, toppling Flanzer, 6-4, 6-2, in the No. 6 singles match.
Aboubakare challenged Tachibana, forcing a third set in the No. 2 match, but with the match on the line Tachinbana rallied to a 6-1, 1-6, 6-4 set victory, ensuring the win for the Crimson.
With the win, a share of the Ivy League regular-season title remains attainable for the Crimson. Harvard and Brown are deadlocked at 4-2, trailing Yale and Dartmouth who are both 5-1 with one match remaining for each school. Princeton has concluded Ivy play and sits sandwiched between with a 5-2 conference mark. Harvard will host Dartmouth April 23, while the Brown will host Yale. Wins for the Crimson and Bears would create a five-way tie atop the Ancient Eight standings.
1. Tachibana/Norton(Harvard) def. B. Aboubakare/Harrow(Brown) 9-8
2. Herzberg/Caldwell(Brown) def. Cao/Morrill(Harvard) 8-4
3. Blosser/Lehman(Harvard) def. Krasowski/Flanzer(Brown) 8-6
1. Cao(Harvard) def. Krasowski(Brown) 6-2, 6-2
2. Tachibana(Harvard) def. B. Aboubakare(Brown) 6-1, 1-6, 6-4
3. Herzberg(Brown) def. Norton(Harvard) 5-7, 6-4, 6-3
4. Harrow(Brown) def. Blosser(Harvard) 6-2, 6-2
5. Caldwell(Brown) def. Gridley(Harvard) 6-2, 6-0
6. Morrill(Harvard) def. Flanzer(Brown) 6-4, 6-2