Senior Samantha Rosekrans (right, with flowers) was honored prior to the match as the lone senior on the Crimson this season (Harvard Athletic Communications).
CAMBRIDGE, Mass. – The Harvard women's tennis team grabbed an early lead securing the doubles point, but Dartmouth recovered, taking four singles matches for a 4-3 match victory. The win for the Big Green gave it a share of the Ivy League title with Yale, who downed Brown, 5-2.
The Crimson's top doubles pair of Hideko Tachibana and Kristin Norton quickly took care of Molly Scott and Christina Danosi, 8-2. Holly Cao and Hannah Morrill earned the doubles point for the Crimson with an 8-5 downing of Ryan Reichel and Georgiana Smyser.
Cao and Tachibana each picked up their second victories of the match in singles play. Cao, in the top singles match, breezed by Scott, 6-2, 6-0. Tachibana trumped Sarah Leonard in the No. 2 singles match, 6-3, 6-2, to give Harvard its third point, but the Big Green would take control from there.
The Big Green grabbed wins in the bottom four singles matches to edge Harvard, 4-3. Morrill challenged Smyser in the No. 5 match, taking the first set 6-3, but Smyser would bounce back and take the final two, 6-3, 6-3.
The Crimson honored lone senior, Samantha Rosekrans, prior to the match. "The Harvard women's tennis program would like to thank Sam for her four years of play with the team and the foundation she has helped over her years in Cambridge," said head coach Traci Green of Rosekrans. Photos of the ceremony can be found in the photos section of this release.
Harvard finished the season with an even 9-9 over record, 4-3 in the Ancient Eight.
1. Tachibana/Norton (Harvard) def. Scott/Danosi(Dartmouth) 8-2
2. Cao/Morrill(Harvard) def. R. Reichel/Smyser(Dartmouth) 8-5
3. J. Reichel/Matsuoka(Dartmouth) def. Blosser/Lehman(Harvard) 8-5
1. Cao(Harvard) def. Scott(Dartmouth) 6-2, 6-0
2. Tachibana(Harvard) def. Leonard(Dartmouth) 6-3, 6-2
3. Matsuoka(Dartmouth) def. Norton(Harvard) 6-4, 6-4
4. R. Reichel(Dartmouth) def. Blosser(Harvard) 6-4, 6-3
5. Smyser(Dartmouth) def. Morrill(Harvard) 3-6, 6-3, 6-3
6. Danosi(Dartmouth) def. Gridley(Harvard) 6-2 6-2