Women’s Tennis Upsets Brown, 4-3, During Final Home Match
Hideko Tachibana sealed an upset for Harvard with a win at No. 1 singles (photo Gil Talbot).
CAMBRIDGE, Mass. – The Harvard women's tennis team upset No. 56 Brown, 4-3, Sunday afternoon at the Murr Center. The team hosted its USTA Kids Day after the match, as a number of children joined Harvard players on the court for games, drills, fun, food and prizes. The Crimson also celebrated senior Samantha Gridley's last home match of her career.
To open the match, Harvard completed a come-from-behind win in doubles to gain a 1-0 lead. After falling at No. 3 doubles, the Crimson rebounded to take the next two tandem matches.
Hideko Tachibana and Kristin Norton, who are currently ranked No. 78 among duos, easily beat Ariel Caldwell and Misia Krasowski, 8-2, in the top position and Samantha Gridley and Kelly Whelan knocked of Jessica Harrow and Laura Wiley, 9-7, at No. 2. Gridley and Whelan were trailing, 6-7, when the first two matches ended, before coming back to take the next three points.
Norton kicked off singles play with a sweeping win over Harrow in the No. 2 position. The junior co-captain won, 6-1, 6-4, in straight sets.
After Brown had its first victory, Kelly Whelan put Harvard within a point of victory with a win at No. 5, but Brown answered with two more wins to tie the score at three.
Tachibana was left on the court for Harvard, facing off against Brown's best player, Misia Krasowski. The Crimson's other co-captain finished the Harvard victory with a 6-7 (5), 6-0, 6-2 win at No. 1 singles.
Harvard wraps up its schedule April 28 at Dartmouth.
1. Tachibana/Norton (H) def Caldwell/Krasowski 8-2
2. Gridley/Whelan (H) def Harrow/Wiley 9-7
3. Uberoi/Aboubakare (B) def Blosser/Li (H) 8-3
1. Hideko Tachibana (H) def. Misia Krasowski (B) 6-7(5), 6-0, 6-2
2. Kristin Norton (H) def. Jessica Harrow (B) 6-1, 6-4
3. Laura Wiley (B) def. Natalie Blosser (H) 6-2, 6-4
4. Julie Flanzer (B) def. Samantha Gridley (H) 6-3, 6-2
5. Kelly Whelan (H) def. Sarah Kandath (B) 6-2, 6-3
6. Nimita Uberoi (B) def. Sylvia Li (H) 6-3, 6-2