Kathleen Young scored the game-winning goal in Harvard's 3-2 win at Brown on Friday night. (Gil Talbot)
PROVIDENCE, R.I. – Senior captain Kathleen Young scored the game-winning goal with 15:07 to play in the second half to help lift No. 11 Harvard field hockey (10-1, 3-0 Ivy League) to a 3-2 win at Brown (3-7, 0-3 Ivy League) on Friday. Junior Maddie Earle scored two first half goals and goalkeeper Libby Manela made two saves to improve to 5-0 on the year.
Harvard outshot Brown 20-5 for the game, holding the Bears without a shot in the second half.
Earle helped Harvard take an early lead, converting a great pass from senior captain Kathleen Young across the circle to give the Crimson a 1-0 lead just 5:11 into the game.
Earle scored again at 22:01 on a broken play, redirecting a shot into the net on a ball that bounced off several sticks in the circle.
Brown scored two late first half goals to tie the game, despite the Crimson holding an 11-5 edge on shots.
The game remained tied until Young redirected a Rachel Greenwood shot into the net at 44:53 midway through the second half to give Harvard the lead for good.
- Junior Maddie Earle recorded her second multiple-goal game of the season and has six goals in Harvard's last five goals.
- Senior Kathleen Young matched her season high with three points (goal, assist).
- Harvard is now 18-1 in its last 19 Ivy League contests and has won the last four meetings against Brown.
- Harvard has won seven games in a row, matching a 2017 winning streak for the second-longest in program history. The school record for wins in a row is eight, set in 2016.
- The Crimson has outshot its opponents in 10 of 11 games.
Harvard will head across town to play No. 23 Boston University on Sunday (2 p.m.).