Men's Hockey Headed to Quarterfinals After Blanking Princeton, 3-0

Men's Hockey Headed to Quarterfinals After Blanking Princeton, 3-0

Richter did not allow a goal in the final four periods of the series (photo courtesy Jim Rosvold).

PRINCETON, N.J.-Kyle Richter made 37 saves and Daniel Moriarty scored the game-winning goal in the third period as the Harvard men's hockey team defeated Princeton, 3-0, Saturday night at Baker Rink, completing a two-game sweep of the teams' ECAC Hockey first-round playoff series.

Danny Biega scored a highlight-reel insurance goal, Luke Greiner added an empty-net tally and each logged an assist to help Harvard (9-19-3) advance to the league quarterfinals. The Crimson's next opponent will not be determined until the conclusion of the other three first-round series Sunday.

Following two scoreless periods, Moriarty netted the game's first tally at 7:11 of the third. After working the puck around the left side of the zone on the power play with passes from Michael Biega and Louis Leblanc, he found some space around the faceoff dot and ripped a wrist shot past Zane Kalemba, who made 14 saves for Princeton (12-16-3). Biega put Harvard in full control with his fourth goal in five games after Michael Del Mauro moved the puck out of the corner. Biega knocked a Luke Greiner saucer pass out of the air, outraced a pair of Princeton defenders to the loose puck and then to the net, went to his backhand and beat Kalemba with a high shot.

The series win was Harvard's 20th in 21 chances after winning the first game of a playoff series. Richter registered the fifth shutout of his career, the first in a playoff game.

Richter made 21 saves over the first two periods, and Kalemba stopped 10 shots. Alex Fallstrom and Marshall Everson both got shots behind Kalemba, but Fallstrom's in the first period went just wide and Everson's in the second hit the post.

Early in the third, Kalemba made a tough save on an Everson deflection of an Alex Biega shot, and Richter countered on the other end with a pad stop on Kevin Crane. After the first two goals, Greiner's empty-net goal sealed the win with 75 seconds left. After Colin Moore won the puck in the defensive corner and Del Mauro pushed it ahead. Danny Biega got to it on the left side of the offensive zone and dropped a pass to Greiner in the circle for the finish.