Frederic Gregoire scored twice to help lead Harvard past BU in the Beanpot consolation game. (Matthew Woolverton)
BOSTON, Mass. – Junior forward Frederic Gregoire scored twice to help No. 15/18 men's ice hockey (13-7-3, 9-5-2 ECAC Hockey) beat Boston University, 5-2, in the Beanpot consolation game at TD Garden.
Defensemen Reilly Walsh and John Marino each recorded two assists, and Jack Badini, Adam Fox, and R.J. Murphy (first career goal) each scored to lead the Crimson attack. For Fox, the goal was his 100th career point, becoming the first defenseman in program history to reach that milestone in his junior season.
Senior goaltender Michael Lackey made 24 saves to earn the win in net.
Harvard outshot BU, 39-26, for the night and carried the play for long stretches. The game remained scoreless through the first 20 minutes, however, with Harvard pushing for the opening goal.
The Crimson outshot BU 7-1 in the first five minutes of the game, but it was Lackey who came up with biggest stop, stretching out his left pad on a rebound chance in front at the 8:00 mark.
First-year Casey Dornbach missed just high of the net on a 3-on-1 chance for the Crimson later in the period.
Harvard finally broke through midway through the second period as Gregoire fired a well-placed wrist shot from the side wall past BU goaltender Vinnie Purpura at 9:28 to put the Crimson ahead.
Later on, Harvard took a two-goal lead after an excellent play from Walsh set up Badini's goal. Junior forward Colton Kerfoot fed Walsh, who cut to the net, then found Badini all alone in front with a cross-ice pass from knees. Badini found the open net at 16:19 to put Harvard in front 2-0 heading into the third period.
BU's Patrick Curry scored at 6:11 of the third period to cut the Crimson lead to one. But on an odd-man rush, Gregoire kept the puck at the right circle and fired a wrist shot just inside the far post at 12:28 to make it 3-1.
Fox's empty-net goal at 16:51 made it 4-1, and first-year forward R.J. Murphy sealed the win once again for the Crimson, responding to a late BU goal with his own empty netter at 19:17.
- Junior defenseman Adam Fox (goal) recorded his 100th career point (20-80-100), becoming the fourth defenseman in Harvard history to reach that plateau, joining Mark Fusco '83 (135 points), Mark Benning '87 (111 points), and Randy Taylor '87 (102 points). He is the first junior defenseman in college hockey to reach 100 points since Wisconsin's Justin Schultz in 2011-12.
- Junior forward Frederic Gregoire (two goals) has eight points (three goals, five assists) in his last six games. He has a career high 12 points (five goals, seven assists) this season.
- Sophomore defenseman Reilly Walsh (two assists) has nine points (two goals, seven assists) in his last seven games.
- Senior goaltender Michael Lackey has allowed two goals or less in 14 of 22 starts this season.
- Harvard has won six of its last seven games (6-1-0) overall.
- Harvard finished 1-for-1 on the penalty kill, and has been a perfect 11-for-11 on the PK in its last four games.
- Harvard has won a Beanpot game in each of the last three seasons, and has won two of the last three meetings against BU at the Beanpot.