Nathan Krusko's overtime goal lifted Harvard past Dartmouth on Saturday night.
CAMBRIDGE, Mass. – Junior forward Nathan Krusko's goal at 2:06 of overtime clinched No. 14/14 Harvard men's ice hockey's (19-9-3) fifth straight trip to Lake Placid and ECAC Hockey championship weekend, as the Crimson defeated Dartmouth (13-17-4), 4-3, at Bright-Landry Hockey Center.
Junior defenseman Adam Fox had three assists, and sophomore defenseman Reilly Walsh added a goal and an assist, while junior goaltender Cameron Gornet (36 saves) had another standout performance in net to help lift Harvard to the victory.
On the game-winner, sophomore forward Jack Badini won a puck battle along the boards and found Krusko behind the goal line. The sophomore beat Dartmouth goaltender Adrian Clark (36 saves) on a wrap-around at 2:06 to set off a celebration just outside the Harvard bench.
The Crimson rallied from an early two-goal deficit to make it a game, as Brendan Demier (1:03) and Drew O'Connor (2:35) scored for the Big Green in the opening minutes of the first period to put Dartmouth ahead 2-0.
Harvard's power play helped the Crimson cut into the lead midway through the first period, as Fox fired a shot from straightaway that was tipped by first-year forward Jack Drury into the net at 11:25 to make it a one-goal game.
Senior captain Michael Floodstrand tied the game at 2:29 of the second period, firing a quick shot from the high slot over the glove of Clark.
Harvard had its first lead on Reilly Walsh's power play goal at 6:44 of the middle frame in the dying seconds of a 5-on-3 man advantage.
But Dartmouth tied it at 12:30 on Quin Foreman's power play tally, sending the game to its dramatic conclusion.
• Junior defenseman Adam Fox (three assists), recorded his team leading 13th multi-point game of the season. He now has a career best 46 points (nine goals, 37 assists) on the season, matching the school record for points by a Harvard defenseman in one season, set by Mark Fusco '83, who had 46 points (13-33-46) in 33 games in 1982-83.
• Sophomore defenseman Reilly Walsh (goal, assist) recorded his ninth power play goal of the season, and is tied for eighth in the nation in that category.
• First-year defenseman Jack Rathbone (assist) has points in his last six games and has 10 points (two goals, eight assists) in his last 10 games.
• Junior goaltender Cameron Gornet made a career high 36 saves against Dartmouth, and is now 5-3-0 with a 2.23 GAA and .920 Save% on the year.
• Harvard is making its fifth consecutive trip to Lake Placid and the ECAC semifinals, becoming the third team in recent history to make five straight appearances at the league's championship weekend, joining Quinnipiac (2013-17) and Cornell (2008-12).
• Harvard finished its home schedule unbeaten in its last 10 games (9-0-1) at Bright-Landry Hockey Center, and was 11-3-2 on home ice this season.