Harvard Men’s Lacrosse Powers Past Dartmouth, 15-10; Crimson Improves to 2-0 in Ivy

Daniel Eipp amassed a career-best seven points in the win over the Big Green (Gil Talbot).

CAMBRIDGE, Mass. – The Harvard men's lacrosse team scored four goals within a 45-second span in the third quarter to pull away for a 15-10 win over Dartmouth before 1,313 fans at Harvard Stadium Saturday afternoon. With the win, the Crimson (4-3) improves to 2-0 in the Ivy League for the first time since 1998, while the Big Green fall to 2-4 and 0-1 in the Ancient Eight.

Jeff Cohen enjoyed his third straight five-goal game, while Daniel Eipp and Kevin Vaughan each netted four goals. Eipp also dished out three assists for a career-high seven points. Vaughan, who established a career-high with his six points on four goals and two assists, also collected five ground balls, while Keegan Michel won 18-of-24 faceoffs and grabbed six ground balls.

Goalie Jake Gambitsky recorded his second straight victory, stopping seven shots, while Dartmouth's Fergus Campbell finished with 12 saves.

After Dartmouth jumped out to a 1-0 lead at 12:13 of the first, Eipp had a hand in the Harvard's first two goals, as the Crimson went ahead, 2-1. At 9:45, Eipp assisted on a score by Cohen, and then Eipp followed with his own tally at the 5:58 mark.

With 4:23 left in the opening frame, Carl Zimmerman found Kevin Vaughan for a man-up tally, as the Crimson grabbed a 3-1 advantage. Harvard tacked on another score at 2:16, capping a 4-0 run when Eipp dished out another assist to Cohen.
After the Big Green cut the deficit to 4-2, Eipp handed out his third assist when he sent a pass to Alex White at 9:39 of the second quarter. Will Walker tallied another score for the Crimson at the 6:22 mark, and Eipp netted his second goal with 5:24 remaining in the half, putting Harvard on top, 7-4. At the break, Dartmouth held an edge in shots, 22-14, but the Crimson held the Big Green scoreless on four man-up opportunities.

In the second half, Dartmouth cut Harvard's lead to 7-5 at 10:51, but the Big Green was called for two one-minute non-releasable penalties at 10:02, giving Harvard a long man-up opportunity. The Crimson capitalized, netting three goals during the ensuing man-up chance, and then added another score at 8:56 for a four-goal outburst in only 45 seconds. Cohen scored two of the man-up goals at 9:41 and 9:16, respectively, while Eipp added a man-up tally at 9:03. Harvard followed with a face-off victory, and Vaughan finished with an unassisted score at 8:56 to cap the quick 4-0 run, as Harvard pulled away, 11-5.

In the fourth, Vaughan scored on a man-up chance at 9:51, and Cohen netted his fifth goal at 7:11, as the Crimson led, 13-7. Later in the frame, Vaughan and Eipp found the back of the net again at 4:09 and 0:39, respectively, as Harvard held on for the 15-10 victory.

The Crimson will visit No. 3/4Massachusetts Tuesday at 7 p.m.