Men's Lacrosse Succumbs to Late Rally in 11-9 Loss at Brown

Men's Lacrosse Succumbs to Late Rally in 11-9 Loss at Brown

Dwyer scored a pair of second-half goals in his Ivy debut at Brown (Gil Talbot).

PROVIDENCE, R.I. – The Harvard men's lacrosse team took a two-goal lead into the fourth quarter, but a 4-0 run put Brown over the top as the Bears stole a victory from the Crimson Saturday night, 11-9.

Devin Dwyer broke a 7-7 tie in the third quarter off a feed from Peter Schwartz and found Ryan Stevens for a score less than one minute later, putting the Crimson in front 9-7 heading into the final frame. Brown's Kylor Bellistri netted the equalizer with 9:06 remaining, however, and the Bears tacked on two more scores for the final two-goal margin.

Dwyer finished the night with four points on two goals and two assists. Alex White also scored two goals while Stevens added a goal and an assist.

Harvard (2-3, 0-1 Ivy League) won 19-of-24 face offs and dominated the X thanks to a 15-of-20 performance by Rick Molé. Gabriel Mendola was 4-of-4 on face offs and was credited with a career-high 10 ground balls. Stevens added two caused turnovers and three ground balls, while Harry Krieger made nine saves in goal.

Brown (4-1, 1-0 Ivy League) was led by Henry Blynn's five points (2g, 3a) as Jack Kelly made 15 saves in the victory, including five in a perfect fourth quarter. Harvard held a 35-30 edge in shots and a 34-25 margin in ground balls, but was successful on just 15-of-21 clear attempts while the Bears converted 22-of-25.

Brown got on the scoreboard first but Harvard answered back with three straight goals to take a 3-1 advantage in the first. Carl Zimmerman tallied the equalizer at the 9:26 mark following a Stevens caused turnover, and Daniel Eipp put the Crimson on top for the first time, 2-1, as Dwyer found him diving through the defense toward the crease. Sean McDonagh gave Harvard the two-goal margin with just 10.6 seconds remaining in the frame, slipping a shot past the Kelly while falling to the turf.

White made it a 4-0 run off a feed from Zimmerman as the Crimson went on top, 4-1, moments into the second quarter. Jack Walker hooked up with Brendan Newman to maintain the three-goal margin after a Brown score, but the Bears tallied three quick goals to even the game at 5-5 with 8:19 remaining in the half. Dwyer gave the lead back to the visitors off an assist by Peter Schwartz, and White's second goal of the quarter put Harvard back on top by two, 7-5, before intermission.

Blynn cut Browns lead in half coming out of the break and three penalties against Harvard gave the Bears three opportunities to even the score on the man-advantage. The Crimson was able limit Brown to just two shots during the 2:30 of penalty time, but Nick Piroli scored in an unsettled situation after all the penalties had expired to bring the game to a 7-7 tie. Dwyer came up with the pivotal goal once again before Stevens gave Harvard the two-goal edge heading into the fourth.

Harvard will be back in action Tuesday, March 19 as it hosts Bryant at 7 p.m. at Soldiers Field Lacrosse Stadium.