Fourth Quarter Comeback Pushes No. 2/2 Cornell Past Men's Lacrosse, 14-12

Fourth Quarter Comeback Pushes No. 2/2 Cornell Past Men's Lacrosse, 14-12

Dwyer turned in five points for the Crimson against the No. 2/2 Big Red (Gil Talbot).

CAMBRIDGE, Mass. – The Harvard men's lacrosse team took a 12-9 lead over No. 2/2 Cornell with 9:48 remaining but succumbed to a late rally as the Big Red stormed back for a 14-12 victory Saturday afternoon in front of 3,043 fans at Harvard Stadium.

Cornell (10-1, 4-0 Ivy League) ended the day on a 5-0 run to overcome its deficit and remain unbeaten in Ivy League play. Conor Buczek and Rob Pannell began the flurry which was finished by Max Van Bourgondien who scored three straight goals in 1:46 to steal the win.

Devin Dwyer turned in a five-point performance to lead the Harvard (4-6, 1-2 Ivy League) attack with two goals and three assists. The freshmen added two ground balls and caused one turnover. Peter Schwartz netted three goals for his second hat trick of the year and added one assist, as Alex White and Murphy Vandervelde chipped in two goals apiece.

Harry Krieger came away with 15 saves in goal as Cornell peppered him with 51 shots for the day. He was aided in the defensive third by Robert Duvnjak who was credited with a pair of caused turnovers.

Rick Molé went 16-of-27 at the X and picked up a career-high eight ground balls to help Harvard to a 17-29 advantage on face offs. The Crimson was 14-of-16 on clear attempts while the Big Red went 15-of-19.

Cornell's duo of Steve Mock (6g, 1a) and Pennell (2g, 3a) combined for 12 points to go with the three goals scored by Van Bourgondien. AJ Fiore made 11 saves to pick up the win.

Cornell went on top early but two straight scores by Schwartz and Vandervelde gave Harvard a 2-1 edge. Goals by Pannell and Mock put the Big Red back in front, 3-2.

Schwartz registered his second tally of the day on the man-advantage to open the second quarter and Dwyer regained a lead for the Crimson, 4-3. Cornell briefly tied the game again at 4-4 before a strike by White pushed the score to 5-4. Schwartz completed his hat trick just 35 second later, giving Harvard a 6-4 lead heading into the half.

Cornell came out of the break quickly and scored three straight goals for a 7-6 edge. Garrett Campbell's first score of the year evened the game back up at 7-7, and Dwyer scored the Crimson's second straight man-up goal for an 8-7 lead. White added his second tally of the afternoon to move the score to 9-7, and Brendan Newman snipped a shot from up top following a nice feed from Dwyer for a 10-7 advantage.

Ian Ardrey answered a goal by Cornell to keep the margin at three, 11-8, and an acrobatic tally for Vandervelde put the score at 12-9. Strikes by Buczek and Pannell pulled Cornell to within one, 12-11, with 8:10 to play before Van Bourgondien's three tallies to close the game.

Harvard travels to Quinnipiac Tuesday, April 9 for its last non-conference matchup of the year. First draw is set for 4 p.m.