Men’s Lacrosse Drops 14-10 Decision to Penn

Photo courtesy of Gil Talbot
Photo courtesy of Gil Talbot
Play Video

CAMBRIDGE, Mass. – The Harvard men's lacrosse team was outscored 5-1 in the fourth quarter, leading to a 14-10 loss to Penn Saturday afternoon at Harvard Stadium.

Junior attack Morgan Cheek contributed to 60 percent of the Crimson (5-6, 1-3) goals, finding the back of the net five times and dishing out one assist. Junior attack Joe Lang added a goal and an assist, while junior goalie Robert Shaw made 14 saves.

Cheek moves into the top-20 (No. 17) at Harvard with 34 goals this season. He now ranks No. 11 with 58 points in 2017.

Penn (5-5, 2-3) was led by six points from Simon Mathias, who registered two goals and four assists. Kevin McGeary posted a hat trick, including two scores in the fourth.

Nigel Andrews started the scoring, burying a rebounded shot to start a 3-0 Crimson run over the first 10 minutes. Penn answered with two-straight goals, but Cheek and Ryan Graff each scored over the final 15 seconds to push Harvard ahead, 5-2, after 15 minutes of play.

It was all Penn over the second 15 minutes, as the Quakers outpaced the Crimson, 5-1. Penn took its first lead of the game, and held a 7-5 advantage at the 5:30 mark. Cheek made a move from behind the net to pull Harvard within one, 7-6, at the break.

A swim move freed Cheek and he buried a shot to start a 3-1 Crimson rally. Harvard took a 9-8 advantage with 3:16 to play in the third period after Lang ran down the alley to score. The Quakers scored at the 1:46 mark and the contest was even after three quarters.

Another individual effort by Cheek put Harvard ahead, 10-9, with just over 10 minutes to play. The Quakers then rattled off five-straight, including two by McGeary within six seconds, to take control, 14-10, at the 2:49 mark.  

For the full, archived replay of the game on the Ivy League Digital Network, click here.

The Crimson hits the road, heading to Princeton, New Jersey Saturday, April 22 for a 1 p.m. tilt.