Anderson tallied his first-career hat trick (Gil Talbot).
CAMBRIDGE, Mass. – Opening the 2018 season in the win column, Harvard men's lacrosse earned a victory over UMass Lowell, 10-9, on Saturday afternoon at Jordan Field.
Sophomore Kyle Anderson scored a hat trick in his first-career outing, while classmate Ryan Graff added two goals with a game-high two assists to tie a career-best with four points. Sophomore Watson Cheek notched a career-best two goals, while senior Robert Shaw kicked off the campaign with 14 saves.
Harvard (1-0) got out to an early 2-0 lead after goals from Anderson and Cheek, though UMass Lowell (1-1) would tie it up later in the period. Anderson would complete his hat trick with two more first half goals, while Cheek added an unassisted tally to give the Crimson a 5-2 lead at the break.
The Crimson led by as many as four in the second half, 7-3, after goals from senior Carney Mahon and sophomore Jacob Boll, but UMass Lowell rallied to tie the game at seven with just under 13 minutes to play in the fourth quarter. Undeterred, Graff and senior Peter Blynn gave Harvard the lead, and Graff added an insurance goal late to secure the win.
- Anderson notched a hat trick in his first-career appearance.
- Graff tied a career-best with four points, including two goals.
- Cheek scored a career-high two goals, while Blynn, Mahon and Boll each scored once.
- Harvard moved to 2-0 all time over UMass Lowell.
- The Crimson tallied its fourth-straight win in the season-opener.
- Senior Morgan Cheek extended his points streak to 32 games, which is the ninth-longest active streak in the country.
Harvard returns to action Tuesday, Feb. 20 when Holy Cross visits Jordan Field. The first face-off is set for 4 p.m. on the Ivy League Network.