ALBANY, N.Y. – Falling for the first time this season on the road, No. 19/RV men's lacrosse had its six-game winning streak cut short by No. 1/1 Albany, 14-6, on Wednesday night at Ford Field at Casey Stadium.
The Crimson (7-2) was led by senior Morgan Cheek and sophomore Kyle Anderson, who scored two goals apiece, while seniors Carney Mahon and Robert Mencke also found the back of the net. Senior Robert Shaw made 13 saves in goal, while Mahon tallied a team-high four ground balls.
Albany took an early 2-0 lead, but the Crimson responded with a goal from Anderson midway through the opening frame, assisted by senior Sean Coleman. Engaged in a defensive battle, the Crimson held the Great Danes to just one goal in the second quarter, and trailed by two, 4-2, at the intermission.
Cheek and Mahon scored in the third frame, but Albany slotted five of its own across the goal line. Cheek scored again to open the fourth quarter, and Anderson followed with a score of his own, but the Great Danes added five more in the fourth to secure the win.
- Cheek extended his point streak to 40 games, and tallied a team-best three points.
- Anderson pushed his goal scoring streak to nine games with two scores, and the sophomore has a team-high 27 goals this season.
- Shaw stopped 13 Albany shots, giving him double-digit saves for the eighth time in nine outings this season.
- Harvard falls to 2-2 all-time against top-two teams under head coach Chris Wojcik.
- The Crimson held Albany off the board during man-up opportunities, going 4-for-4.
Harvard returns to Ivy play, heading on the road April 7 for a 1 p.m. matchup with Cornell. The contest will be broadcast on the Ivy League Network.