CAMBRIDGE, Mass. – Harvard men's squash began the 2019-20 season in dominant fashion, running through the 17th-ranked MIT Engineers, 8-1. Junior Samuel Scherl and senior captain Saadeldin Abouaish powered the Crimson to victory with 3-0 wins.
The first win of the night went to sophomore George Crowne, who swept his opponent 3-0 in the fourth pairing. Wins from first-year Ayush Menon and juniors Adam Corcoran and John Finley Ong gave Harvard a 4-0 lead.
Abouaish clinched the match win in the third pairing with a 3-0 victory.
- John Finley Ong edged his opponent in an exciting match in the eighth pairing. Ong took home the 3-2 victory after battling back from a 7-1 deficit in the fourth game to win 11-9.
- First-year Ayush Menon crushed his competitior in his collegiate debut, 3-0.
- Fellow first-year Liam Rotzoll also won his first match, 3-0.
- Gosset won a battle in the fifth pairing, edging his opponent, 12-10, 11-6, 9-11, 11-7, to pick up his first win of the season.
- The Crimson extends its win streak to 17 matches.
- Harvard is now 56-2 all-time against the Engineers.
The Crimson will have two weeks to prepare for its first Ivy League contest at the 10th-ranked Dartmouth Big Green on Dec. 3.
Harvard – 8
MIT – 1
- Samuel Scherl def. Joe O'Connor (MIT) - 11-3, 11-1, 11-2
- Adam Corcoran def. Aman Sanger (MIT) - 11-6, 11-4, 11-2
- Saadeldin Abouaish def. Henry Martin (MIT) - 11-2, 11-3, 11-5
- George Crowne def. Eli Kramer (MIT) - 11-3, 14-12, 11-2
- Julien Gosset def. Vedaant Kukadia (MIT) - 12-10, 11-6, 9-11, 11-7
- Ayush Menon def. William Wu (MIT) - 11-6, 11-4, 11-8
- Liam Rotzoll def. Keith Lamp (MIT) - 11-9, 11-7, 11-5
- John Finley Ong def. Matt McManus (MIT) - 8-11, 11-5, 11-7, 9-11, 11-2
- Brad Levin (MIT) def. Liam Waterous - 11-4, 9-11, 5-11, 1-11
Order of finish: 4,6,2,8,3,1,9,7,5