NEW HAVEN, Conn. – The Harvard men's tennis team picked up a 4-1 victory as the No. 2 seed over Brown tonight, Feb. 16 in the first round of the ECAC tournament. The Crimson moves to 8-1, its best start to a season since 2012.
Harvard dropped the doubles point for only the second time this spring, giving the seventh-seeded Bears an early 1-0 lead. Kenny Tao and Logan Weber started the Crimson off with a fast 6-2 win in the No. 1 spot. Brown went on the cancel the advantage, winning in the No. 2 and No. 3 spots, both by 6-3 margins, to take the point.
The Crimson rebounded in singles, beginning with a dominant 6-2, 6-1 win by Kenny Tao over Brown's No. 1 spot, Jack Haworth. Harvard then went up 2-1 shortly afterward when Andrew Ball took down Brown's No. 6 spot, 6-4, 6-2. Andy Zhou earned his fourth win in singles play in the No. 2 spot, defeating Jacob Walker 7-6, 6-1.
Grant Solomon clinched the victory for the Crimson in a battle at the No. 5 spot. After falling 1-6, Solomon sealed the match in the next two sets with 7-5, 6-3 wins.
Harvard will face Cornell in the second round of the ECAC tournaments at 6 p.m. tomorrow, Feb. 17.
1. Kenny Tao/Logan Weber (H) def. Aaron Sanberg /Ching Lam (B), 6-2
2. Jack Hanworth/Jacob Walker (B) def. Jean Thirouin/Andy Zhou (H), 6-3
3. Charles Tan/Ben Collier (B) def. Grant Solomon/Christopher Morrow (H), 6-3
Order of Finish: 1, 2, 3
1. Kenny Tao (H) def. Jack Haworth (B), 6-2, 6-1
2. Andy Zhou (H) def. Jacob Walker (B), 7-6, 6-1
3. Jean Thirouin (H) vs. Peter Tarwid (B), 5-7, 6-3, 1-1 (did not finish)
4. Robert Wrzesinski (H) vs. Ching Lam (B), 3-6, 6-4, 4-3 (did not finish)
5. Grant Solomon (H) def. Peter Litsky (B), 1-6, 7-5, 6-3
6. Andrew Ball (H) def. Charles Tan (B), 6-4, 6-2
Order of Finish: 1, 6, 2, 5