NEW HAVEN, Conn. – The Harvard men's tennis team (9-1) advanced to the ECAC Championship finals after defeating Cornell tonight, Feb. 17 at Yale. The Crimson topped the Big Red 4-1 and will face Dartmouth in the finals tomorrow at 1 p.m.
Christopher Morrow and Grant Solomon got the Crimson off to a solid start with a 6-3 win over Cornell's No. 3 spot. After Jean Thirouin and Andy Zhou fell in a tie-breaker on court two, Harvard's No. 1 doubles pair Kenny Tao and Logan Weber clinched the point for the Crimson with an exciting 7-6 tie-breaker win.
Harvard continued to dominate in singles, winning the next three of four points to seal the match. Kenny Tao first gave Harvard a 2-0 lead after taking down Cornell's David Volfson in the No. 1 spot, 6-4, 6-3. Junior Grant Solomon was next off the court with a 7-6 (3), 4-6, 6-1 win at No. 5 to increase the Crimson's lead to 3-0.
Cornell picked up a win on court four as Robert Wrzesinski fell 6-3, 6-3 to give the Big Red its first point of the match. In the No. 6 spot, Andrew Ball won his first set 7-6, but stumbled in the second at 3-6. Ball was able to recover and closed out the win in his third set, defeating the Big Red's Jack Hansen 6-3, and securing a 4-1 victory.
Harvard advances to the finals of the ECAC Championship, facing Dartmouth tomorrow, Feb. 18 at 1 p.m.
1. Kenny Tao/Logan Weber (H) def. Hansen/Kazakov (C), (7-6)
2. Ayeni/Rynoe (C) def. Jean Thirouin/Andy Zhou (H), (7-6 (4))
3. Grant Solomon/Christopher Morrow (H) def. Volfson/McAllister (C), (6-3)
Order of Finish: 3, 2, 1
1. Kenny Tao (H) def. David Volfson (C), (6-4, 6-3)
2. Andy Zhou (H) vs. Alafia Ayeni (C), DNF (5-7, 7-6, 2-1)
3. Jean Thirouin (H) vs. Lev Kazakov (C), DNF (4-6, 7-5(3), 4-1)
4. Daniel Grunberger (C) def. Robert Wrzesinski (H), (6-3, 6-3)
5. Grant Solomon (H) def. Pietro Rimondini (C), (7-6 (3), 4-6, 6-1)
6. Andrew Ball (H) def. Jack Hansen (C), (7-6 (2), 3-6, 6-3)
Order of Finish: 1, 5, 4, 6