CAMBRIDGE, Mass. – The No. 26 Harvard men's tennis team improved to 11-2 this season after sweeping a pair of home court dual matches against No. 46 Old Dominion and Boston University today at the Murr Center Tennis Courts. The Crimson picked up 5-2 wins over both opponents.
Harvard won the doubles point in each match to claim its fifth straight and 10th of the season, including a fourth straight win for the Crimson's 47th-ranked doubles tandem, Kenny Tao and Logan Weber. In the No. 1 spot for Harvard, Tao and Weber defeated ODU 6-2, before Christopher Morrow and Grant Solomon clinched the point in extra games with a 7-5 win on court two.
Against BU with a shifted line up, Harvard again claimed the doubles point after two straight wins on courts one and three. Morrow and Weber took down the Terriers No. 1 spot 6-2, while Samuel Beren and Andy Zhou gave Harvard a 1-0 lead after a 7-6 win in three extra games.
The Crimson carried over its strong play into singles action, winning four of six match ups against both teams. ODU tied the match at 1-1 with a victory on court four, until Harvard went on to win the next three at No. 1, 5 and 3. Jean Thirouin clinched the match for the Crimson against ODU's No. 3 spot with wins of 7-5, 6-3 to seal a 5-2 victory.
With a 1-0 lead against BU, Harvard dominated in singles, taking the next three points to give the Crimson its 11th win of the year. Galen Lee earned Harvard's second point with a 6-1, 6-2 win, while Andrew Ball took No. 3 by a score of 6-4, 6-1. In his singles debut this season, Morrow clinched the match for Harvard with a straight sets 6-2, 6-4 victory on court three.
- Freshman Robert Wrzesinski and junior Andrew Ball both went 2-0 in singles play
- No. 47 doubles pair Kenny Tao and Logan Weber picked up their fourth straight win
- Harvard improves to 15-0 against BU and 5-3 over ODU in the all-time series
The Crimson will welcome Northwestern this Sunday, Feb. 25 for a 2 p.m. matchup at the Murr Center Tennis Courts, streamed live on the Ivy League Network.
1. Tao, Kenny (HARV) def. Moundir, Adam (ODU) 6-1, 7-5
2. Kijametovic, Aziz (ODU) def. Zhou, Andy (HARV) 7-5, 6-4
3. Thirouin, Jean (HARV) def. Schneider, Vincent (ODU) 7-5, 6-3
4. Musitelli, Francois (ODU) def. Solomon, Grant (HARV) 7-6, 6-2
5. Wrzesinski, Robert (HARV) def. Giesse, Jannik (ODU) 6-3, 7-5
6. Ball, Andrew (HARV) def. Maestre, Javier (ODU) 6-2, 4-6, 10-4
Order of Finish: 4,1,5,3*,2,6
1. Tao, Kenny/Weber, Logan (HARV) def. Kijametovic, Aziz/Musitelli, Francois (ODU) 6-2
2. Morrow, Christopher/Solomon, Grant (HARV) def. Moundir, Adam/Maestre, Javier (ODU) 7-5
3. Zhou, Andy/Thirouin, Jean (HARV) vs. Giesse, Jannik/Schneider, Vincent (ODU) unfinished
Order of finish: 1,2
1. Wrzesinski, Robert (HARV) def. Simhadri, Satyajit (BU) 4-6, 6-2, 11-9
2. Lu, Owen (BU) def. Weber, Logan (HARV) 7-6, 6-3
3. Ball, Andrew (HARV) def. Gutierrez, Pedro (BU) 6-4, 6-1
4. Bogatin, David (BU) def. Beren, Samuel (HARV) 7-6, 6-3
5. Lee, Galen (HARV) def. Sable, Marc (BU) 6-1, 6-2
6. Morrow, Christopher (HARV) def. Siozios, Pete (BU) 6-2, 6-4
Order of Finish: 5,3,6*,2,4,1
1. Morrow, Christopher/Weber, Logan (HARV) def. Simhadri, Satyajit/Gutierrez, Pedro (BU) 6-2
2. Soemarno, Fabian/Bogatin, David (BU) def. Solomon, Grant/Peters, Michael (HARV) 7-6
3. Beren, Samuel/Zhou, Andy (HARV) def. Avila, J.P./Lu, Owen (BU) 7-6
Order of Finish: 1,3,2