SAN DIEGO, Calif. – The No. 25 Harvard men's tennis team earned a convincing 5-1 victory over San Diego State in the opening round of the San Diego Spring Classic at the Lomas Santa Fe Country Club this afternoon. Currently on a four-match winning streak, the win brought the Crimson to 13-2 on the season.
The doubles team of Christopher Morrow and Grant Solomon helped set the tone early for the Crimson, notching a 6-2 win over Santiago Cevallos and Rafael Gonlaez Almazan of the Aztecs in the No. 2 spot. Despite falling 6-2 on court one, the Crimson picked up its first point in doubles action as Jean Thirouin and Andy Zhou sealed it with a 7-5 win in the No. 3 spot. After tying the set up at 5-5, the duo battled for the last two tallies to clinch the doubles point.
After the Aztecs halted Harvard's momentum tying the match at 1-1 on court six, Thirouin answered with a straight sets 6-1, 7-5 win in the No. 3 spot to take the lead back at 2-1. Kenny Tao put Harvard on the brink of victory with his third straight singles win, claiming a 6-4, 6-3 win over San Diego State's No. 1 spot. Zhou's success in doubles carried over into singles play where the junior picked up a 6-4, 6-2 win on court two, setting Harvard up with the 5-1 victory.
Harvard advances to the second round of the San Diego Spring Classic where it will face No. 37 Texas Tech at 5 p.m. (EST) tomorrow, March 16 at the Rancho Santa Fe Tennis Club.
1. Sander Gjoels-Andersen/Nicholas Mitchell (SDSU) def. #40 Kenny Tao/Logan Weber (H), 6-2
2. Grant Solomon/Christopher Morrow (H) def. Santiago Cevallos/Rafael Gonzalez Almazan (SDSU), 6-2
3. Jean Thirouin /Andy Zhou (H) def. Raul de la Torre/Jan Kirchhoff (SDSU), 7-5
Order of finish: 2, 1, 3
Harvard wins doubles point
1. Kenny Tao (H) def. Santiago Cevallos (SDSU), 6-4, 6-3
2. Andy Zhou (H) def. Arnaud Restifo (SDSU), 6-4, 6-2
3. Jean Thirouin (H) def. Sander Gjoels-Andersen (SDSU), 6-1, 7-5
4. Rafael Gonzalez Almazan (SDSU) vs. Grant Solomon (H), 4-6, 3-4
5. Robert Wrzesinski (H) def. Joel Popov (SDSU), 6-4, 6-2
6. Ignacio Martinez (SDSU) def. Andrew Ball (H), 6-2, 6-2
Order of finish: 6, 3, 1, 2*, 5
* Match-clinching victory
Records: SDSU (2-10), Harvard (13-2)