SAN DIEGO, Calif. - In a top-25 contest that was closely contested throughout, No. 24 Memphis came out on top over the No. 25 Harvard men's tennis team, 4-2, in the finals of the San Diego Spring Classic yesterday, March 17. The loss moved the Crimson to 13-3 on the season.
Harvard dropped the doubles point for only the fourth time this season to give Memphis a 1-0 advantage in the match. The battle began with the Tigers defeating Kenny Tao and Logan Weber in the No. 1 spot, 6-3, to put Memphis in line for the doubles point. In back-and-forth action on court three with both Harvard and Memphis taking momentum from each other, the Tigers triumphed over Jean Thirouin and Andy Zhou, 7-6, to seal the point.
Senior Grant Solomon gave the Crimson its first point of the day to even the match, making quick work on court four with a 6-1, 6-2 win over the Tigers' Chris Patzanovksy. Shortly after, freshman Robert Wrzesinski picked up his third consecutive singles win this weekend, taking down Memphis' No. 5 spot, 6-3, 6-3, to put the Crimson up 2-1. The Tigers tied the score at 2-2 with a victory on court three and proceeded to close out wins at No. 3 and 6 to take the match, 4-2.
The Crimson will host Buffalo and Marist on Saturday, March 24. Matches are slated to begin at 12 p.m. and 5 p.m., respectively.
1. Ryan Peniston/Andrew Watson (M) def. Kenny Tao/Logan Weber (H), 6-3
2. Kai Lemke/Marshall Sullivan (M) vs. Christopher Morrow/Grant Solomon (H), DNF
3. Jan Pallares/Matt Story (M) def. Jean Thirouin/Andy Zhou (H), 7-6
Order of Finish: 1, 3*
1. Ryan Peniston (M) vs. Kenny Tao (H), 6-3, 6-3, DNF
2. Andrew Watson (M) def. Andy Zhou (H), 6-1, 6-4
3. Kai Lemke (M) def. Jean Thirouin (H), 7-5, 6-1
4. Grant Solomon (H) def. Chris Patzanovsky (M), 6-1, 6-2
5. Robert Wrzesinski (H) def. Felix Rauch (M), 6-3, 6-3
6. Jan Palleres (M) def. Galen Lee (H), 6-3, 6-4
Order of Finish: 4, 5, 2, 3, 6*
*Match clinching point