CAMBRIDGE, Mass. – In its final two non-conference matches of the season, the No. 27 Harvard men's tennis team (16-3) powered past Buffalo and Marist in back-to-back sweeps on Saturday, March 24 at the Murr Center Tennis Courts. The Crimson first swept past Buffalo, 4-0, before blanking Marist, 7-0, to conclude its doubleheader.
Harvard gained momentum by winning the doubles point in both matches, now securing the point in 14 of its 18 contests this season. Newly paired doubles partners Jean Thirouin and Robert Wrzesinski dominated by clinching the point for the Crimson in both matches today, securing a 6-1 win in the No. 3 spot against Buffalo and a 6-4 victory against Marist's No. 1 pair.
The Crimson came out strong in singles action, denying both teams of any wins. Against Buffalo, Kenny Tao came away with a 6-4, 6-2 victory in the No. 1 spot to extend Harvard's lead. Thirouin gave the Crimson a 3-0 advantage in the match, breezing to a 6-4, 6-1 win on court three. To clinch the match for Harvard, freshman Wrzesinski continued his strong play, earning the win by scores of 6-4, 6-2.
Against Marist, the Crimson controlled singles play as freshman Constantin Zoske doubled the Harvard advantage, making quick work on court two with a 6-2, 6-1 win. Grant Solomon put the Crimson on the verge of victory, taking down Marist's No. 1 spot, 6-3, 6-0. Andrew Ball then put the match-clinching point on the board for Harvard, defeating Lars Schouten 6-3, 6-1 on court three.
Harvard will face Dartmouth at home on Saturday, March 31 at 2 p.m. for its first Ivy League test of the season. The match will be broadcast on the Ivy League Network.
Results vs. Buffalo
1. Vidit Vaghela/Petr Vodak def. Kenny Tao/Logan Weber, 6-3
2. Andy Zhou/Grant Solomon def. Hao Sheng Koay/Ethan Nittolo, 6-3
3. Robert Wrzesinski/Jean Thirouin def. Villhelm Fridell/Nickolas Frisk, 6-1
Order of Finish: 2, 3, 1
1. Kenny Tao def. Ethan Nittolo, 6-4, 6-2
2. Andy Zhou vs. Hao Sheng Koay, 3-6, 6-1, DNF
3. Jean Thirouin def. Petr Vodak, 6-4, 6-1
4. Grant Solomon vs. Villhelm Fridell, 7-5, 2-2, DNF
5. Robert Wrzesinski def. Vidit Vaghela, 6-4, 6-2
6. Andrew Ball vs. Nickolas Frisk, 7-6 (5), 3-0, DNF
Order of Finish: 1, 3, 5*
Results vs. Marist
1. Jean Thirouin/Robert Wrzesinski (HARV) def. Gianlucca Massa/Max Darrington (MARM) 6-4
2. Logan Weber/Michael Peters (HARV) def. Javier Restrepo/Christopher Gladden (MARM) 6-2
3. Andy Zhou/Samuel Beren (HARV) def. Lars Schouten/Jan Dernic (MARM) 6-1
Order of Finish: 3, 1, 2
1. Grant Solomon (HARV) def. Javier Restrepo (MARM) 6-3, 6-0
2. Constantin Zoske (HARV) def. Gianlucca Massa (MARM) 6-2, 6-1
3. Andrew Ball (HARV) def. Lars Schouten (MARM) 6-3, 6-1
4. Galen Lee (HARV) def. Christopher Gladden (MARM) 6-2, 6-3
5. Logan Weber (HARV) def. Jan Dernic (MARM) 7-6 (1), 4-6, 10-6
6. Samuel Beren (HARV) def. Max Darrington (MARM) 7-5, 6-4
Order of Finish: 2, 1, 3*, 4, 6, 5