CAMBRIDGE, Mass.—In a close contest, the Harvard men's tennis team fell, 4-3, to Buffalo in its spring home opener on Sunday. The Crimson starts its season at 0-1 (0-0 Ivy), while the visiting Bulls improve to 1-0 (0-0 MAC).
Buffalo opened the morning with the victory in doubles play, taking the point for a 1-0 lead in the match. In the No. 2 slot, Christopher Morrow and Robert Wrzesinski found their stride and tallied a doubles win for the Crimson, besting Ethan Nittolo and Hao Sheng Koay, 6-4. The doubles point came down to a hard-fought match as Lucas Koelle and Lane Leschly faced Buffalo's Matthew Johnson and Valdemar Holm, with the Bulls clinching the point in a 7-6(10) win in the No. 3 spot.
First-year Steven Sun quickly evened the match at 1-1, handedly defeating Holm in a straight-sets 6-0, 6-0 victory to start singles play. Harvard built on the momentum to keep the score even through five matches, earning victories in the No. 2 and No. 3 spots to bring the teams to 3-3. The final point came down to the No. 1 slot, with a three-set thriller between senior Andy Zhou and Ville Fridell. Splitting sets, Fridell ultimately edged out Zhou in the final frame, winning 2-6, 7-6, 6-2 to seal the match for the Bulls.
-Christopher Morrow and Robert Wrzesinski earned Harvard's sole doubles victory today, defeating Buffalos's Ethan Nittolo and Hao Sheng Koay, 6-4.
-First-Year Steven Sun opened the spring with a dominant 6-0, 6-0 victory over Valdemar Holm in the No. 5 slot.
-Robert Wrzesinski and Harris Walker also earned singles victories in Harvard's first dual match of the season, winning the No. 2 and No. 3 spots, respectively.
-Harvard drops to 3-1 in the all-time series against Buffalo.
The Crimson takes a trip down south for dual matches against Auburn on Jan. 25 at 2 p.m. (1 p.m. CST) and Alabama on Jan. 27 at 2 p.m. (1 p.m. CST).
1. Ville Fridell/Simon Wibler def. Andy Zhou/Logan Weber, 6-4
2. Christopher Morrow/Robert Wrzesinski def. Ethan Nittolo/Hao Sheng Koay, 6-4
3. Matthew Johnson/Valdemar Holm def. Lucas Koelle/Lane Leschly, 7-6(10)
Order of Finish: 1, 2, 3
1. Ville Fridell def. Andy Zhou, 3-6, 7-6, 6-2
2. Robert Wrzesinski def. Ethan Nittolo, 7-5, 1-6, 6-2
3. Harris Walker def. Hao Sheng Koay, 6-3, 6-4
4. Nickolas Frisk def. Lucas Koelle, 3-6, 6-2, 7-5
5. Steven Sun def. Valdemar Holm, 6-0, 6-0
6. Matthew Johnson def. Lane Leschly, 6-3, 7-6,
Order of Finish: 5, 3, 6, 2, 4, 1*