TUSCALOOSA, Ala.—The Harvard men's tennis team entered the win column in dominant fashion Friday afternoon, sweeping Auburn, 6-1, to snap the Tigers' seven-match winning streak. With the victory, the Crimson improves to 1-1 (0-0 Ivy), while the previously unbeaten Tigers drop to 7-1 (0-0 SEC).
Harvard opened the match with a strong showing in doubles, clinching the point off victories in the No. 1 and No. 3 spots. Senior captain Andy Zhou and junior Logan Weber teamed up to take down Auburn's No. 1 pair with a 7-5 win to kick things off for the Crimson. No. 3 doubles pair Brian Shi and Lane Leschly then made quick work of the Tigers, securing the point with a 6-3 victory.
Keeping the momentum moving for Harvard, Robert Wrzesinski took the first win in singles, earning a straight-sets 6-4, 6-3 victory in the No. 2 slot over Auburn's Brandon Laubser. Facing a 2-4 deficit in his second set, Zhou made an impressive comeback in the second set to capture a 6-4, 7-4 win over Auburn's top singles player, Matteo De Vincentis. First-year Steven Sun closed out the match for the Crimson, clinching the match in the No. 6 spot, 6-7 (7-9), 7-5, 1-0 (10-4).
-Harvard improves to 6-1 in its all-time series with the Tigers.
-Robert Wrzesinski and Steven Sun improve to 2-0 in singles to open the season.
-With today's sweep, Harvard advances to a five-match winning streak against Auburn.
The Crimson wraps up its weekend in Tuscaloosa with a match against Alabama on Sunday, Jan. 27 at 2 p.m. EST (1 p.m. CST).
1. No. 121 Andy Zhou def. Matteo De Vincentis, 6-4, 7-5
2. Robert Wrzesinski def. Brandon Laubser, 6-4, 6-3
3. Filippo Mora def. Brian Shi, 6-7, 5-2, ret.
4. Harris Walker def. Tad Maclean, 6-7 (6-8), 6-3, 6-2
5. Lucas Koelle def. Tim Dollman, 6-2, 3-6, 6-3
6. Steven Sun def. Michael Durham, 6-7 (7-9), 7-5, 1-0 (10-4)
Order of Finish: 2, 1, 5, 3, 4, 6*
1. Andy Zhou/Logan Weber def. Brandon Laubser/Tad Maclean, 7-5
2. Christopher/Robert Wrzesinski v. Matteo De Vincentis/Diego Chavarria, DNF
3. Brian Shi/Lane Leschly def. Filippo Mora/Tim Dollman, 6-3
Order of Finish: 3, 1